Vittoria Corsa G+ Tubular Review (vs Conti Comp vs Veloflex Arenberg & Carbon)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sethjs wrote:Update on the Corsa G+

Took them on a 30 mile loop today with a fair amount of climbing and *very* steep descents with tight curves. (Hawk Hill front and back, Bunker Rd for those familiar with SF). Have to say - they are very comfortable tires!

Two new observations:

1. Inspected the tires before going and noticed the rear picked up a very large glass shard embedded deep in the tread from the first ride. Didn't flat the tire - but also have never seen such a large glass shard embed on either the Comps nor the Carbons/Arenberg. Of course, that ride was raining hard and so more susceptible to glass - so not sure I fault them.

2. Had a scary experience on the ride today. On about an 18% downhill where you need to brake hard into a curve, I locked up the rear wheel. I was braking with the same force I've used on the Comps and Carbons and neither would have locked up. My weight was same as always in such a situation, leaning rearward. This reminded me of the older Vittorias I tried where I experienced similar lock ups. On the Carbons or Arenbergs, if you lock a wheel, you lose a lot of rubber. Checked afterward, not so on the G+. Not sure I've locked the rear on the Comps.

Net: the G+ seem to have less dry traction, at least when braking in a straight line. I wonder if the compound on the edges is more supple / stickier for turns and the center harder for longevity? Anyone know? Wasn't super confidence inspiring!

I have not tried the g+ tubs.. but I feel that way about g+ clinchers.. I feel ok with them in the dry, but not the wet. Arenburgs wet or dry I'm good. Been riding the arenbergs all winter since nearly going down with g+ on my clincher wheeset.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Thanks for the write up on the G+. I was in the boat of deciding between the G+ and Arenbergs. That post about locking up the rear on a decent is a scary thing and we have some steep hills around here. In knowing that would you still recommend the G+ of the Arenbergs. Cheers

sethjs

by sethjs

I've found Conti Competitions to have best grip. Arenberg prob second then G+ third. But that's all straight line. Haven't pushed any of them hard enough to test limits on a turn. I'm too old for that ;)

dcaspira

by dcaspira

2. Had a scary experience on the ride today. On about an 18% downhill where you need to brake hard into a curve, I locked up the rear wheel. I was braking with the same force I've used on the Comps and Carbons and neither would have locked up. My weight was same as always in such a situation, leaning rearward. This reminded me of the older Vittorias I tried where I experienced similar lock ups. On the Carbons or Arenbergs, if you lock a wheel, you lose a lot of rubber. Checked afterward, not so on the G+. Not sure I've locked the rear on the Comps.

Net: the G+ seem to have less dry traction, at least when braking in a straight line. I wonder if the compound on the edges is more supple / stickier for turns and the center harder for longevity? Anyone know? Wasn't super confidence inspiring!

I had exactly the same experience, steep technical turn into a switch back - smooth / dry surface. The back wheel slid out, whereas Veloflex hold. Hardly any rubber off the rear vittoria, whereas I would have expected to see rubber off Veloflex.

Summary, I think they are great for distance - but the trade off seems to be grip. I'm pulling them off and going back to veloflex.

The other observation, and I'm not sure if it's just me - but the groove along the side, seem to provide a weak channel for debris to go. Eg the extruded ridges are too hard to cut, so the articles move to the channels and maybe increase punctures. I'm not sure on that last point, maybe others have had different experiences.

For grip - Veloflex seems better IMHO :wink:

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Took them on a 30 mile loop today with a fair amount of climbing and *very* steep descents with tight curves. (Hawk Hill front and back, Bunker Rd for those familiar with SF). Have to say - they are very comfortable tires!

Two new observations:

1. Inspected the tires before going and noticed the rear picked up a very large glass shard embedded deep in the tread from the first ride. Didn't flat the tire - but also have never seen such a large glass shard embed on either the Comps nor the Carbons/Arenberg. Of course, that ride was raining hard and so more susceptible to glass - so not sure I fault them.

I've locked the rear on Comps -- for about 8 - 10 ft. Cords were exposed. A lot of it will depend on the road surface.

sethjs

by sethjs

Quick update: went out on Saturday. We've been having big rainstorms in the SF Bay Area. So *lots* of debris. Saturday was actually dry. But...both front and rear on the G+ tubs flatted. Almost certainly from random debris due to the rains. Net: should have taken the bike with the Conti 4 Seasons on it!

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I'm current mounting 2 sets of Graphene tubulars, but I will be waiting to use them when the roads here have completely dried. I mainly ride tubulars and know full well the risk of riding in the wet.

I'm going with the G+ 25mm in the rear and the Speed 23mm version on the front on one set, and G+ throughout on the other. Have been riding CX's for years so it will be interesting to note the differences.

sovereign

by sovereign

In the event that sealant was added to a Veloflex tubular...

Where I live a road bike can only be used for @7 months a year due to weather. If I had a puncture and needed to use sealant with a Veloflex tubular during the warm months, and then the bike is sitting for 5 months, how often would the tires need to be pumped up to keep the tube from collapsing and sticking to itself? I was set to go with Arenbergs over a butyl Conti, but now I am not sure if a latex tubular would work for my situation?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Just check in them from time to time.. I have sealant in my arenburgs and they are on my climbing super windy wheels.. so they sit a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sovereign

by sovereign

I appreciate your input from personal experience. However, from what I am reading everywhere else is that the tires will need to be inflated every 2-3 days to keep the tube from sticking. That is WAY more than I would want to have to deal with for five months. Plus, go on vacation for a week and the tires are ruined...

I have been considering switching from IRC RBCC tubeless on DA C24 wheels for quite awhile, but if I am going to end up on Conti Comps due to maintenance concerns with latex tubed tubs, perhaps I will gain nothing and add even more complexity and hassle. I used to ride tubs in '90s when I wrenched in a shop, Conti Sprinters on GL330s, so I have no problems with mounting, etc., but due to the introduction of sealants it seems kind of retrograde to not be able to use it on the best tubs.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Do they deflate totally in a week? No.
You're over thinking it. The idea is not to let the sides of the tube touch each other and/or let the sealant solidify, isn't it? I've had a Vittoria or two that are OK after not paying attention for weeks/months on end, whilst I rode/mucked around with tubeless on Pacenti rims. The answer is pump up as often as required for peace of mind.
I had Sprinters but thought Vittoria on 28/GP4s (noodles compared to today) were the bees knees.
Less is more.