2015-17 Specialized Tarmac frames?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AW84

by AW84

Has anyone weighed/examined/reviewed the non-S-Works version of the new Tarmac frame launched in 2015 and compared it to the S-Works version? To date, I still haven't seen any magazine reviews or anything comparing weights or ride quality of this frame to the S-Works. It was as if it didn't and still doesn't exist...everything is focused on the S-Works.

But it has me curious. Specialized developed the new frame, dubbed by some the SL5, and released only one build that wasn't badged an S-Works. One would think if they were mass producing lower-end versions of the frame, they'd have spread it across the entire Tarmac line, rather than just one. Specialized has re-badged other products in the past (their cranksets, in specific), so it presents at least a little intrigue about whether or not they're actually re-badged S-Works frames. Unlikely, of course, since they could be easily outed by someone putting the two frames on a scale, but still worth questioning.

Mainly, though, I'm just interested to know what this frame gives up in weight/stiffness to the more expensive frame.

Tom14

by Tom14

Only thing I know is that there are two versions now. One with BB30 and one with BSA BB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Specialized says that one uses Fact 11r carbon and the other 10r. Specialized even says on their web site that you can't tell the difference (look at the Tarmac Pro frameset page):

"Remember all those commercials with blind taste tests that we're so popular in the '90s? Well, if it were safe, we'd love to do the same thing between our Tarmac Pro Frameset and its S-Works cousin. That's because we designed it to be so flawless, so perfect that the only difference their wallet."

It's kind of strange marketing but there are always guys that will pay the extra $750 to get the S-Works label just because it is "the best" and that is what the pros ride. I'm sure that the difference between 11r and 10r is a trade secret. It could be nothing more than a few layers of carbon in a slightly higher grade.

AW84

by AW84

AJS914 wrote:Specialized says that one uses Fact 11r carbon and the other 10r. Specialized even says on their web site that you can't tell the difference (look at the Tarmac Pro frameset page):

"Remember all those commercials with blind taste tests that we're so popular in the '90s? Well, if it were safe, we'd love to do the same thing between our Tarmac Pro Frameset and its S-Works cousin. That's because we designed it to be so flawless, so perfect that the only difference their wallet."

It's kind of strange marketing but there are always guys that will pay the extra $750 to get the S-Works label just because it is "the best" and that is what the pros ride. I'm sure that the difference between 11r and 10r is a trade secret. It could be nothing more than a few layers of carbon in a slightly higher grade.

Intersting. I'd still be curious to hear actual numbers that differentiate them, though.

I know mine doesn't fit into the Weight Weenie category per se, but with mechanical 6800, stock aluminum bars and stem, pedals, cages, Garmin mount, and 1600g clinchers, it tips the scale at 16.05 lbs. (56cm). But even if it weighed the same as an S-Works, I don't know that I'd be able to tell the difference riding it.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Tom14 wrote:Only thing I know is that there are two versions now. One with BB30 and one with BSA BB.

BSA bottom bracket is only on lower end models. This was introduced in 2017 models.
The OSBB is basically the same as BB30 but with a little tighter tolerances and a 0.5mm difference in the clip-to-clip dimension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder