Ax lightness vial evo experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Naturel

by Naturel

Hello everybody.
I ride currently on a Cervelo R5.
And I would like if anybody had the chance to compare with the Vial Evo?

Or if anybody can let me his ride expenrience with the Vial Evo?

Thank You.

RussellS

by RussellS

There have been numerous posts about AX Lightness Vial EVO frames. Several people participating in this forum own these frames. Do a search for this frame in this forum. You will find many posts about them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Naturel

by Naturel

Thank you.
But some posts are just here to present their build but not their personnal review...

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

I adore my AX Vial Evo D. Super responsive and nibble on the turn. Fabulous power transfer and you know when you put your foot to the pedal. It is all going to the forward momentum. Stiff as!
But it is a bit scary going downhill. Feel like going downhill on a feather. If you are aggressive on the way down, you better be a confident descent rider.
Overall, i didn't regret my purchase at all and it is one of the best frames money could buy at the moment.
It may not be as well known as your Cervelo because they are a boutique maker who don't churn out hundreds and thousands of frames with a well -oiled marketing machine behind the brand but they have a winner on their hands. It is an Uber bike experience that few could appreciate.
Last edited by AUOC1OC6 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB

RussellS

by RussellS

AUOC1OC6 wrote:I adore my AX Vial Evo D. Super responsive and nimble on the turn.
But it is a bit scary going downhill. Feel like going downhill on a feather.

This would concern me considerably. I had a bike that was too twitchy. Did not enjoy riding it. Questions for you: Can you ride the Vial EVO no hands? Can you easily take your hands off the bars and sit up and ride no hands at any moment with ease? Does it ride in a straight line at all times with no input from you or watching where you are going?

kode54

by kode54

i normally don't ride with no hands...and that's more because the roads i ride on are littered with pot holes. yeah, there are some smooth roads, but i normally don't ride hands free.
that said, the AX Vial Evo D is probably one of the best riding bikes i've own and ridden on, although I have never owned a Cervelo. my AX Vial got so much riding time in last year...i nearly
rode it to death. i've had 3 accidents on them...all because of road debris and another time when someone in front of me touched someones wheel. it happens. but most recently, i put the bike in the work stand, turned my back, and with the rear wheel off...it dropped and fell onto the DS dropout. cracked the drop out and i thought the frame was toast. as it turned out...i emailed Nils at AX and he emailed me back
saying that it 'looks worse than what it is' and assured me that its no big deal. well, i sent the bike back and was quoted a price because i had all the bearings refreshed and the broken dropout fixed and painted. 389 euros. yup. the shipping killed me as it was 150 euros one way. turnaround was even more impressive as i sent it just before Christmas...and got it back two weeks later.

as far as the turning...its not a bit twitchy. as smooth and precise in turning as my Parlees. this is a great frame...and i can't say enough about their customer support and honesty. kudos all around.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RussellS

by RussellS

kode54 wrote:i normally don't ride with no hands...and that's more because the roads i ride on are littered with pot holes. yeah, there are some smooth roads, but i normally don't ride hands free.

Next time you are riding on one of the smooth roads, try riding it no hands for a few seconds. Just sit up and take your hands off the bars for a few seconds and see if it keeps going in a straight line smoothly. Most of my bikes can be ridden no hands easily and can swerve around the potholes with no trouble. And ride in an exact straight line for miles and miles.

kode54

by kode54

RussellS wrote:
kode54 wrote:i normally don't ride with no hands...and that's more because the roads i ride on are littered with pot holes. yeah, there are some smooth roads, but i normally don't ride hands free.

Next time you are riding on one of the smooth roads, try riding it no hands for a few seconds. Just sit up and take your hands off the bars for a few seconds and see if it keeps going in a straight line smoothly. Most of my bikes can be ridden no hands easily and can swerve around the potholes with no trouble. And ride in an exact straight line for miles and miles.

i'm most likely to crash if i try that. haha. but correct me if i'm wrong...that doesn't have much to do with how it corners and if its twitchy or not. its probably more with the rider itself, yes?

besides, my previous heavier bikes could be ridden without hands...the ones that i no longer own. all my lighter ones, i'm more cautious with mainly because, 1) they're light and one false move means disaster and 2) i really don't want to experience going through the process of getting a frame repaired again because of my doing.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Naturel wrote:Hello everybody.

Thank You.

PM
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RussellS

by RussellS

kode54 wrote:i'm most likely to crash if i try that. haha. but correct me if i'm wrong...that doesn't have much to do with how it corners and if its twitchy or not. its probably more with the rider itself, yes?

Riding no hands will tell you if a bike is twitchy. If it is twitchy, you will not be able to ride it no hands. Stable, solid, straight bikes can be ridden no hands easily because they go straight with no input from the rider. No hands on the bars so no input. Twitchy bikes require constant input from the rider. So the rider must keep his hands on the bars at all times to add this constant input, fixing the steering. Try to ride your bike no hands and tell us if you can do it or not. You have a $10,000 bike, so I assume you did not start riding yesterday and have a little experience riding a bike. And riding no hands should be easy for anyone who has ridden a bike for awhile. Most road bikes built today should go down the road straight with no input whatsoever from the rider. They are stable.

KCookie

by KCookie

My bike must be twitchy then as the first time I tried no hands I nearly fell off. Still haven't mastered it yet months on. Lol. (Lightweight Urgestalt)

sakattack

by sakattack

I have a custom Vial Evo and can confirm the bike is rock solid stable.I can not only
easily ride in straight line with no hands but do some stretching exercises at the same time.No
problem at all.
Attachments
vial_evo.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

idinfo68

by idinfo68

Naturel wrote:Hello everybody.

Thank You.

Riding with a Vial Evo D is an unforgettable experience!

It is important to choose the wheels for a homogeneous set ...

One of the best frame for climbing i think...
www.baron-noir.com

Specialized Aethos SUB5
Specialized Tarmac SL6 - 5.16 kgs
Scott SPARK RC 900 SL SUB 8
Specialized Epic HT - 6.18 kgs