Colnago C40 vs CX Zero Disc in terms of comfort

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OhJeebus

by OhJeebus

A friend of mine is selling off his collection in about 1 week.

I have a chance to pick up a 2005 MK4 HP stay C40 or a 2015 Colnago CX Disc for the same money.

I'm having a hard time deciding. The C40 is an all time classic but I like the versatility of having hydro disc brakes.
I don't race but will be doing weekly spirited 120km club rides so comfort overall is most important for me.

What do you guys think? (and no I can't buy both :wink: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabmaster

by tabmaster

For me, there would be no question. The C40 is hand made in Italy. A timeless classic, as you have said. The CX is Taiwanese & fairly forgettable, by comparison. Don't know what the CXeoykd be like to ride but the C40 is like a magic carpet ride. Just my 2p worth.

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

alistaird

by alistaird

tabmaster wrote:For me, there would be no question. The C40 is hand made in Italy. A timeless classic, as you have said. The CX is Taiwanese & fairly forgettable, by comparison. Don't know what the CXeoykd be like to ride but the C40 is like a magic carpet ride. Just my 2p worth.

Paul.

+1 to this. Made in Italy for sure as 1st pick.

A

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

No Brainer. C40. The only negative thing i noticed about C40, is because of 1" front fork it can be not stiff enough in the front end.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

This means it'll be like driving a vintage Ferrari versus a Dacia Sandero
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

TomColnago

by TomColnago

The C40 is an awesome machine and I would get another one hands down, it would be my choice out of them and its a beautifully crafted bike, rides beautifully, is stiff enough for the sprinters and light enough for the climbers.

kgt

by kgt

C40 is a legendary frame, one for the most important frames in history. CX disc is... nothing IMHO.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I have owned both.

Just sold the CX.

Stay away from my C40 or it's the last thing you'll see in this world.

c50jim

by c50jim

Since I bought my first C40 in 1995, I've owned a lot of bikes - 14 Colnagos, some Parlees, Dogma, Moots, Pegoretti, Cervelos and I forget some of the others. I ride 12-14,000 km/year all over the place. A few years ago, I realized that I was getting old and had more than a lifetime supply of bikes. So, I've been trimming my inventory. I've sold all the Colnagos except my C40s and an Extreme Power that I throw in the car for trips with my wife when the paint my get scratched. I also have a custom S&S coupled Moots with Colnago geometry and a Norco gravel bike. I've never ridden the CX Zero but have ridden other modern bikes. My gravel bike has discs but I don't find them necessary even there, although I might if I rode in wet conditions.

I'm 6'1" and ~185 pounds and I've never had a problem with the 1" fork, whether Star, Flash, Precisa or something from a manufacturer other than Colnago. I love the ride quality of the C40 and kept it rather than newer Colnagos such as the EPS or even Extreme C because of that ride. C40 HP is the second best of the various C40 vintages. I refer the one immediately before without the HP stays because its ride is a bit smoother in my opinion but I'm sure the C40 HP will put a smile on your face.

AJS914

by AJS914

Since it's your friend ride both and decide. You may need both bikes. :-)

By all accounts the CX Zero is a fine bike. It may make a better endurance / winter bike and will probably take wider tires. It will probably have a taller head tube and more upright position.

Are these bikes your size? The c40 comes in 1 cm increments. Don't buy it if it's not the right size.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Is the CX Zero the aluminium model or the carbon 'Evo' version?

nestornnk

by nestornnk

If the ride and comfort is your priority then choose the CX Zero(if it is the carbon version)
Otherwise the C40 is a special bike,one that you will keep forever..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com