Campag 11 (pre 2015 vintage) noisy on gebhart chainrings.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Dear all, hope you can help. Question is as per the title above. I'm in the process of building up my cross bike (Ridley x-night) with the pre 2015 campag group I had spare from my road bike. Now, needing a 46t big ring I chose gebhardt. Only issue is, blimey it is noisy in the largest two sprockets (29t largest). I appreciate that this constitutes cross chaining but it still shouldn't be as it is. The chain looks to be lifting from the teeth on the chain ring if one pedals slowly (in the workstand).
Advice from the experts would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paolo.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... I don't have any experience with those chain rings, but I do know as you increase the size of the rear sprocket and decrease the size of the front chain ring, and the cross chain it like that, you are really stressing the functional range of the system. I once spent a day working out something similar on a touring bike with a 32 sprocket at the back and 36 tooth middle ring (it was a triple) up front. Due to the angle and the big back/not so big front, the chain would sometimes just fall off the middle ring and onto the granny ring. It was a Shimano XTR 9spd drive chain but I was using a non-Shimano chain. After much looking at the how every little detail was interfacing it turned out to be the chain, and the way the chamfers, or lack there of, of the outer plates of the chain were interfacing with the teeth on the chain ring. Switching to a Shimano chain fixed it all up. In your case, if everything is Campy except for the chain rings, that might be part of the issue. Unfortunately, that's not a solution to your current problem. But maybe try a different chain? That's all I can suggest. And/or some different chain rings. Noise is one thing, but if the chain seems to be lifting off the chainring teeth, that can't make for a very good scenario in the bumps and grinds of cross. Does Campy even make a 46 tooth chainring that you could try instead? I think at this point it comes down to trial and error until you find what works.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Calnago, thank you. Indeed it does look like what you are describing, I'll try a smaller cassette & the stronglight ring I've got on my work bike. All the rest of the kit is campag.

Paul.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

You may also want to try a different chain. I have found that the KMC chains on my road bikes are quieter, but the record 11 chains seem to work best on my cx bikes ( one uses fsa 11 speed campy specific rings and the other is a 46/34 set of campy rings)

Miller

by Miller

Is the chain new or worn? A worn chain might be more prone to lifting out of the teeth.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Well, I tried another wheel with a 27t top sprocket & it was no better. The chain rings, chain & cassette are all new.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Well, next thing I tried was a swap of chain rings. I swapped over the 46t stronglight ring from my work bike & it's like night & day. Memo to self: buy stronglight, not gebhardt. Pity, as it looked like a really nice ring.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11