WCB-R-081 build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

erickr

by erickr

Current total weight 6805g.

Shrike

by Shrike

Love it! :o

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

It has an F8-like fork and an Aeroad-like top tube but other than that it's... ok.

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

Nice! Pretty similar to mine. I'm surprised that the disc brake version weights almost the same as the rim brake variant.

erickr

by erickr

kgt wrote:It has an F8-like fork and an Aeroad-like top tube but other than that it's... ok.

It looks like a cross between the F8 and the Aeroad with the front (head tube and fork) similar to the F8 and and the rest of the frame similar to the Aeroad. Both are aesthetically appealing to me.

I really wanted an Aeroad but...USA and the Aeroad has integrated brakes that I'm not particularly fond of.

some other details not mentioned in the OP are
-Cane Creek 40 series headset
-Jaguar Elite link cables
-DT Swiss 240s hubs

Not really a WW build but 6.8kg for an aero build with deep rims isn't too shabby. I have a Red 1190 cassette on the way that will take ~100g off and I could lose ~25g with an UNO stem and ~30g with a lite compression plug. I'd love a set of Hollowgram SISL2s but I can't find a used set and even then it's hard for me to justify the cost for the limited BB compatibility.

It's really not too relevant for me though since the closest thing I have to a mountain within 200 miles are the sidewalk handicap ramps.

SergeduTemps

by SergeduTemps

How's the ride quality? Thinking of doing a similar build

Hexsense

by Hexsense

erickr wrote:-Jaguar Elite link cables

you mean Jagwire?

erickr wrote: I'd love a set of Hollowgram SISL2s but I can't find a used set and even then it's hard for me to justify the cost for the limited BB compatibility.

I'd suggest snatching a Sram red bb30 crankset then change from their porky ring to praxis buzz rings instead, especially if you can find 2015 color of Sram red crankset for cheaper than 260$ which is a better deal than new 2016 color that cost 300+.

SergeduTemps wrote:How's the ride quality? Thinking of doing a similar build

+1 on this question.
I think i'll upgrade my Cannondale CAAD10 to either Hongfu avenger R8 or Workswell 081 maybe next year. I heard many good report of Hongfu but i like PF30/BB30 option of Workswell more. so if it ride very well, i might go this route instead. (size 49 +100-110mm stem because i like it this way than bigger size and short stem)

more specific question would be related to the shorter chain-stay part (which is ~1cm shofter than some other frames i know)
-does the handling feel twitchy due to shorter wheel base?
-does the chain line okay? -- shorter chainstay would mean the chain line has sharper tilt angle compare to the longer one, which i'm not sure if 1cm will be any significant.

-does the bottom bracket area flex at all?
-do you think we can use 25c at the rear at all? looks like 23c tire are already pretty close to the frame.
-do you feel confident in the built quality?

sorry for asking so much. i'm really interested in it, you know :D

erickr

by erickr

you mean Jagwire?

lol, yes. This is my first time not running regular housing and it's all because of the rear Aerolink brake. Regular housing isn't flexible enough. I ended up running the links housing through the handle bars too and it was INFINITELY easier than regular housing. I'll never go back. I wish eTap was in the budget though.

I'd suggest snatching a Sram red bb30 crankset...

I already have a set. Full size though and even worse BB compatibility. I also plan on installing a P2M in the future. So the Red will be for sale on the bay soon NIB.

How's the ride quality? Thinking of doing a similar build

It's taken me 3+ months to build as I bought every component separately when I could get them at a good price and I just finished. Other than a few trips around the block to dial in the shifting I haven't given it a proper ride yet. But it is stiff. Caveat, these are my first set of carbon wheels.

does the handling feel twitchy due to shorter wheel base?

Not to me, but this will likely be relative to the geometry you're coming from. I've always ridden compact frames. Long arms and legs, very short torso.

does the chain line okay?

No issues with the chain line or shifting.

does the bottom bracket area flex at all?
do you feel confident in the built quality?

Yes, but I'm only 60kg and a former competitive distance runner so I'm not flexing anything. :lol:

I feel confident in the build quality but there are a few things I've experienced:
-The provided headset is a heavy, ugly turd. Don't even install it.
-I had to perform some minor sanding of the drive side BB shell to fit the cup. Even then it was still pretty tough with a homemade press.
-The seat post will require carbon paste. It couldn't even hold me torqued to 6nm without it. This has been near universally mentioned in other reviews of this frame.

do you think we can use 25c at the rear at all?

Yes, sorry for the very poor pic(the seat is actually level). It doesn't show the space between the rear tire and seat tube accurately. The rear of the seat tube is also concave (to the tire) in shape. The limiting factor for me is the brake caliper not the frame. Just now measured and I have about 10.5mm of clearance. But 25c will definitely be the max. I don't have any 25's as I'm cleaning out a bunch of 23's from the parts bin. I actually like the 23c profile with the rim. I'll copy a post I wrote on the wheels on RBR below.
Last edited by erickr on Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

erickr

by erickr

Copying this from a post of mine on another forum...

Just received a set of clinchers from Light Bicycle. 45 front/55 rear, 25mm wide, DT Swiss 240s hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes. Weights came in at 685g/856g (1541g total) without skewers or tape.

These are U shaped and flare out to 27mm on the front and 27.5mm on the rear at their widest point. Internal width is 17.9mm. Inside holes are 8mm if you choose to use veloplugs(get the red ones).

I've set them up with 23mm Schwalbe Ultremos that reach 26mm wide at 95-100psi.

Price was $932+113 usd for shipping and paypal fee. Skewers and rim tape not included. Took a little more than three weeks to receive them.

They look flawless and spin perfectly true. I won't be able to ride them until I finish this new build and since these are my first carbon wheels my review may not be very informative.

(ignore the greasy fingerprints)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

alright, i think i'll get it too.

so,
what size of headset do i need?
would you recommend Cane Creek 40 series headset over something else like extralite ultrastar?

Thank you.

erickr

by erickr

The choice here comes down to preference/budget.

Here is the one I'm using.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5RWKW8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with a starnut so you'll need to get a compression plug.

erickr

by erickr

@Hexsense, sorry I don't have enough posts to reply to PMs

I went through Ali Exp.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/921274?spm=2114.8147860.0.0.qxSOSL

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Thanks to your Thread,
I pulled the trigger. Size 50, X-brake (direct mount type), paint red color on some places.
Will build this up sometime next week. It won't be as light as your because i use Shimano and on limited budget.
DSC_1437s.jpg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Just need a bit more tweaks (shorten front brake cable, raise a bit of saddle, change garmin mount etc.) and it should be ready to rock.
some components that doesn't show in the pictures are:
-BBInfinite PF30 (one piece aluminum BB, heavier but stiffer than soft plastic Sram PF30, i need something that will not creak!)
-Extralite Ultrastar expander (as you suggest not to use provided headset)
-Tune top cap
-FSA headset bearings (SL series)
-Dura-ace 9010 direct mount rear brake are hidden under BB. Not impressed with it because clearance for crank and rim are very low (too narrow inside and too wide with their motion arm outside!), will replace soon.

Overall I'm happy with the build. It's both stiffer and smoother ride than my previous Cannondale Caad10.

PureSek

by PureSek

Looking for some sizes advice for my first ever roadbike, any owner of the r-081can help me here?
my inseam and height is 82cm and 173cm, should i go for the size 52 or 54?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com