Turning my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 into Triathlon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

frantona

by frantona

Hi! I need some advice for doing this! My bike came with the Aerocokpit therefore I can not install aerobars on it, I would need to change the complete handlebar system and I would like to do it for a TT setup. I wish I can do this as plug and play as possible since I have the Ultegra DI2 system. Any advice? I saw the TriRig Alpha X but im not sure if it fits my bike... besides its crazy expensieve.

Any advice is more than welcome!!
THanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

junchen

by junchen

During March 16 when I enquired, Tririg alpha handlebar/stem combo does not support canyon 1 1/4 steerer tube.

U have to find a zipp/ritchey 1 1/4 inch stem and use any conventional 31.8mm aero base bar.

See list of compatible stems below
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=7& ... 6%5D=16218

If u are looking for matching stem n bars, u can get the zipp stem and zipp alumina base bar and clip ons. Value for money and highly adjustable.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

rlanger

by rlanger

What distance triathlon do you plan on doing?

If your plan is to race olympic or sprint distance, just do it on your current setup. If you plan to race 70.3 or iron distance, I highly recommend getting a fit along with tri-bars.

Just slapping aerobars on your aero bike won't necessarily make it a good setup for triathlon. The geometry of a tri-bike is completely different from an aero road bike and you would be best served by getting a new fit if you end up installing a new cockpit for triathlon.

calvin

by calvin

I was using Giant -30 degree stem with aerobar set. It took about 15 min. to swap it with Aerocokpit before my TT races.
FXKalvis15 code at @montonsports

junchen

by junchen

Don't forget another zero offset seat post with saddle.. So u can swap the seatpost + stem / handlebar for your tt conversion. Pretty doable....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

dorin

by dorin

Hi there,

May I ask you what option you settled in for, as I am in the same situation as you were?

Best regards,
Dorin
frantona wrote:Hi! I need some advice for doing this! My bike came with the Aerocokpit therefore I can not install aerobars on it, I would need to change the complete handlebar system and I would like to do it for a TT setup. I wish I can do this as plug and play as possible since I have the Ultegra DI2 system. Any advice? I saw the TriRig Alpha X but im not sure if it fits my bike... besides its crazy expensieve.

Any advice is more than welcome!!
THanks!

sawyer

by sawyer

One other thing FYI is Canyon sell a low stack headset cap for the Aeroad SLX (assume you mean Gen 2). I have one, though haven't installed as yet. But essentially it will allow you to get properly slammed

Generally I agree with the other comments re a TT bike being better however
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

SteveCPH

by SteveCPH

FYI - for anyone following this thread - It kept coming up when I was searching for solutions prior to buying an Aeroad (last week) which comes with the H11 aero cockpit:

They are NOT (contrary to the rumours I'd heard) making custom tri bars for the H11, but they DID (or at least, Profile Designs did) make one for the H36 that comes on the Ultimate Aero, and it is out now. https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessorie ... 4#id=62035

Talking to their tech guys, while the extensions will fit on the H11 (it's the same shape) they don't recommend it, as it has thinner walls and apparently they have broke some H11s in testing... so I guess either don't do it or do it at your own risk.

I'm going to take the route of replacing my H11 with an H36 and getting the tri bars - as a heavy (85-90kg) guy, I don't want to trust that a bar that might break won't break under me...

As an aside, I'll be looking to sell the H11 once I make the swap, or perhaps better yet, trade with someone who just got a new H36 and wants an H11 (and doesn't ever want tri bars). Though realistically, I can't imagine why you would make that swap in that direction... geometry is only subtly different, and H11 is negligibly lighter - though I guess negligible is relative when you're on a forum called weight weenies!) ;)
Canyon man: Strive for MTB, Aeroad for road / triathlon

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

As you just bought the bike won't Canyon let you swap out the cockpit? Since you're allowed to change for a different length/width within 30 days after purchase surely they should be okay with also exchanging the H11 for a H36. Also a friend of mine who unfortunately didn't get around to swapping his cockpit within the time period was offered to buy a new cockpit at half price.

SteveCPH

by SteveCPH

It's certainly worth another ask... one guy I talked to on the online chat before ordering said they can't do any kind of changing of the bike from how it's spec'd, but you're right, if you can swap for a different size, one should be able to swap for the other, almost identical, H36. Will ask and update! :)

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

SteveCPH wrote:It's certainly worth another ask... one guy I talked to on the online chat before ordering said they can't do any kind of changing of the bike from how it's spec'd, but you're right, if you can swap for a different size, one should be able to swap for the other, almost identical, H36. Will ask and update! :)

You can't change the spec on the bike when ordering, the bikes are already assembled and it'd be logistically inefficient for Canyon to crack open boxes and swap parts out. You can however exchange stems and handlebars for different sizes once the bike has been delivered to you, so you'd think they'd also allow you to change the model as the retail cost for a separate purchase is the same.

SteveCPH

by SteveCPH

Thanks for the suggestion! I hope it works. :) That sure beats buying the h36 and selling the h11, or looking for someone to trade with! Going to have to look up how to dismantle the hoods / cables - I've worked very little on road bikes. I guess with the tape off it should be fairly obvious...

wowamj

by wowamj

Are you ironman?
If you have canyon tt bike you will ride faster and comfortble

SteveCPH

by SteveCPH

No, not interested in a full IM - just got into sprint distance this past summer, and doing a half IM next summer. I know the speedmax would be the right thing for that race, but I didn't want to buy a TT bike - I figured a great road bike is awesome ALL the time, including commuting to work, and a TT bike is only awesome in the actual race. It's not really my main sport, and I'm not a competitive age-grouper, and didn't want two expensive (road) bikes. Though I know how it is - in the moment of the race, or leading up to it, or right after, I'll be thinking it totally would have made sense to drop another 5 grand on a TT bike. But "sensible-me" knows that's stupid, and I'm going to stick to that. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com