Turning my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 7 into Triathlon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SteveCPH

by SteveCPH

MayhemSWE wrote:
SteveCPH wrote:It's certainly worth another ask... one guy I talked to on the online chat before ordering said they can't do any kind of changing of the bike from how it's spec'd, but you're right, if you can swap for a different size, one should be able to swap for the other, almost identical, H36. Will ask and update! :)

You can't change the spec on the bike when ordering, the bikes are already assembled and it'd be logistically inefficient for Canyon to crack open boxes and swap parts out. You can however exchange stems and handlebars for different sizes once the bike has been delivered to you, so you'd think they'd also allow you to change the model as the retail cost for a separate purchase is the same.

Technically (officially) they won't exchange between parts (like an H36 for an H11), but if you find someone nice and helpful, which I did, they can... :D

Got my H36, and just need to pay shipping back on the H11 - no other charges. They did right by me. Ordered the aero bars and sram clics for the ends of them, and got it all installed and set up late last night! Will post a pic and first impression later once I can get out on it.
Canyon man: Strive for MTB, Aeroad for road / triathlon

Mew106

by Mew106

I’m new to posting here (having been an avid browser to date) so don’t shoot me for probably breaking a rule.

However I thought it worth posting - I’ve just ordered a new Aeroad with H11 cockpit due to arrive in January and also want to race in triathlons.

As of yesterday/15 Nov, according to the online chat tech support on Canyon.com, they ARE developing H11 clip-on bars.

They wouldn’t tell me when it would launch, so could be a while I guess...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SteveCPH

by SteveCPH

Mew106 wrote:I’m new to posting here (having been an avid browser to date) so don’t shoot me for probably breaking a rule.

However I thought it worth posting - I’ve just ordered a new Aeroad with H11 cockpit due to arrive in January and also want to race in triathlons.

As of yesterday/15 Nov, according to the online chat tech support on Canyon.com, they ARE developing H11 clip-on bars.

They wouldn’t tell me when it would launch, so could be a while I guess...

I'd previously heard that as well from some of the online chat guys, but I wouldn't hold my breath - another guy I talked to who seemed to be much more in the know said flat out that the walls of the H11 are just too thin to support it. The clip on for the H36 actually fits the H11 (they're basically the same shape), but in testing they had H11s break under the load. If you're a light guy you might chance it, but I wouldn't (and I'm not a light guy. ;)

If you're counting on having an aero bar set up by a certain date for an event, don't wait too long hoping they do release one, and if you do end up having to switch to an H36, you're far more likely to find a nice rep willing to do it for free in the first month of ownership than a few months later.

Anyway, that's just my opinion based on going through what sounds like the same process as you, and talking to countless people there over the last months! Enjoy your aeroad when it arrives - it really is a beautiful machine!
Canyon man: Strive for MTB, Aeroad for road / triathlon

dontpanic

by dontpanic

I am looking for clip ons to my H36 handle-bar, I e-mailed Canyon since they are out of stock and they should get back to me.

Do you guys know if any other aerobars would fit? Or if you can get them second hand?