My new DA 9000 C24 Tubeless wheels rusting?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OhJeebus

by OhJeebus

Hey everyone,

I had bought some new c24's a few months ago. Took them out of the box today and to my surprise, there are some bright orange residue around basically every single spoke hole on both rims.

Another weird thing is both rims have a particular spot where there is surface "rust" and what feels/looks like harden yellow glue.

Did my seller screw me? Thoughts?

Thanks
Attachments
rsz_20161019_020747.jpg
rsz_20161019_020807.jpg
rsz_20161019_020830.jpg
rsz_20161019_020904.jpg

McGilli

by McGilli

So question for others who will look at these photos and know the answer - is the orange material in the spoke holes some sort of a loc-tite compound put in when the wheels are built to keep the internal spoke nipples in place?

I have the exact same thing on my Mavic wheels - but mine have blue in every spoke hole instead....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'll look at my c24s tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

glepore

by glepore

Uhh-those look like standard c24 Dura Ace wheels converted to tubeless by gluing up the nipple holes. The tubeless rims were solid bed http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/201 ... r-options/. Not that those won't work tubeless, and may be lighter. So yeah, you were sold "converted" wheels.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Good point about the bed.. if you have holes filled in like your picture they were not original tubeless

2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

glepore wrote:Uhh-those look like standard c24 Dura Ace wheels converted to tubeless by gluing up the nipple holes. The tubeless rims were solid bed http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/31/201 ... r-options/. Not that those won't work tubeless, and may be lighter. So yeah, you were sold "converted" wheels.

So if there are no spoke holes then Shimano must have a way to bring each nipple to the correct position? Perhaps similar to Campy's MoMag technology?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

There might be some holes ? I have the non tubeless version .. but there is definitely not a hole for every spoke for the tl version

2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

sovereign

by sovereign

OhJeebus wrote:Hey everyone,

I had bought some new c24's a few months ago. Took them out of the box today and to my surprise, there are some bright orange residue around basically every single spoke hole on both rims.

Another weird thing is both rims have a particular spot where there is surface "rust" and what feels/looks like harden yellow glue.

Did my seller screw me? Thoughts?

Thanks

Your wheels are legit. Everything in your pics and description is normal. Shimano does use some sort of spoke prep. I actually had to use some green Permatex on a couple of rear non-DS nipples that were loosening. And the "rust" should wipe off with minor effort if you want. The glue is normal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

"Above, the new C24 wheels are the only ones that don’t get the OptBal lacing. They’re available in both clincher and Road Tubeless clincher. The clincher rim weight comes in around 383g while the tubeless one is about 420g. Lawrence says the weight difference is mainly because the rim bed is closed on the tubeless models," That's a direct quote from the Bikerumor article I linked above. They actually have different part numbers, the tubeless version has a -tl on the end.

FWIW, the tl version apparently has a different bead hook as well to allow the use of tubeless tires without sealant. Shimano cautions against sealant for corrosion reasons - I have no idea whether this is a real world concern.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record