World fastest and lightest oversized pulley wheel cage system

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

11 on top and 15 on bottom makes more sense to me and allows a tighter hold onto cassette. i would like to try one...but like others say, its a costly trial only to go back to OEM.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I even tried 11 top to replace 15 top and left 15 on bottom. Still rubbing. It was very frustrating and a waste of money.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

^
Mike, do you know if this apply to ever brand oversized pulley/ derailleur cage system or just the system you tried?
I would also try the 11/15 if i tried any.
Perhaps even bearings and seals with lesser drag is more of an upswing?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the system I used is the fouriers system. it is a well made cnc'd product, but couldn't get it to work with my dura ace 9070 derailleur. It is a 15/15 system. when it didn't work, I used an 11 tooth on top. still didn't work even with a longer b screw. note my cassette is 25 teeth large cog, so well within tolerances.

note that it work fine on the larger gears (smaller cogs), but once I went into the easier gears (largest 2 cogs) rubbing and grinding occurs, totally losing any friction gains made in the higher gears.

given the ceramic speed is a 17 tooth system, I would avoid it altogether.

kode54

by kode54

interesting. i'm just wondering if any of the other brands will work better. but like i mentioned...too expensive to just try it out to see if it works or not.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

with fouriers, I only wasted $100. with ceramic speed, it would be $500. so a lesson learned. I am glad I did not go for the ceramic speed.

Marin

by Marin

To avoid compatibility issues, there now are complete derailleurs with oversize pullley systems available from the big S!

I have one on my custom build, steel framed, all-road dropbar bike (commuter/rain/trainstation bike) and it has been nothing short of amazing.

Anyone know how this slots in between Dura Ace and Ultegra? I have to say the power transfer gains have been very real, and the stiffness and comfort are amazing. BTW I'm driving this with a Suntour friction thumb shifter mounted at the end of the bars.

Capacity is excellent, no issues tracking my 11-34 8sp

Yes, these are dual 13t pulleys =0

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

acera is an mtb/cx derailleur. yes it works well, but it is very heavy. would like something for dura ace, but have not found anything that works other than stock cage.

mrgray

by mrgray

i paid money on the indiegogo site but then never had any comms from stirling whatsoever. email, pm and nothing here. i got the creeps and decided to abort. sounded like a cool thing too. oh well. stirling if you are still alive come onto the forum and say hi.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

dexufto

by dexufto

mrgray wrote:i paid money on the indiegogo site but then never had any comms from stirling whatsoever. email, pm and nothing here. i got the creeps and decided to abort. sounded like a cool thing too. oh well. stirling if you are still alive come onto the forum and say hi.

Such a shame that it went dead.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Marin wrote:Anyone know how this slots in between Dura Ace and Ultegra? I have to say the power transfer gains have been very real, and the stiffness and comfort are amazing.

LOL :lol:

Jokes aside, it is amazing how well the cheap Shimano stuff works, at least as long as you stay above the department store crap. You see bikes with crappy corroded non stainless cables and they still shift perfectly. 8spd just seems a lot more stable in that way, as the margins for error are bigger.

jih

by jih

web page wrote:after more than 1000km road test

I feel sorry for the guy on the page riding 1000km in jeans.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Just saw this thread and tried to find a site for R.ACE to no avail. Is there one, or did he go dark?

FWIW, I'm a fan of Digirit. I bought a carbon cage and converted it from eTap to Red Mech by replacing the cage axle
(3 very tiny bolts). The 16t pulleys work great, and the bearings are incredibly smooth, much like CeramicSpeed but
more reasonably priced. Now I'm awaiting delivery of a pair of their carbon wheels (16t).

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hi

I was looking at that Digirit system too, as a way of replacing a worn stock axle.

The Fleabay listing says its compatible with Sram Red, Force & Rival, mechanical and electronic.

So when you say you converted it from eTap to Red, are all the necessary parts included?

Thanks!
GJ

Hexsense

by Hexsense

i copied some pictures from Ebay sellers, align them (not to scale but close enough for angle comparison).

s-l1600.jpg

Relative to pulley cage mounting point (the long bolt)
Sram Red's pulley set put top pulley on pivot point of the whole cage. Chain length and pulley angle (tile forward or backward) doesn't effect clearance in anyway.
Digirit 16+16 pulley set put top pulley lower and toward the back, this will make the pulley get closer to the cassette in small ring or long chain (whenever the chain is slack and cage bend back) than when the cage was pull forward.
Fouriers 15+15 pulley set top pulley (more) lower and toward the front (very slightly). This, however will put pulley closer to the cassette when the chain are tight and pulley was pulled forward.

I have both Sram Red Wifli and normal version of rear derailleur. The Wifli has longer B-knuckle section and more slant parallelogram curve. With 11-28 cassette, pulley is closest to the cassette at 11 so it would suite Fouriers where it put pulley closer at the big end of cassette. Normal short cage Sram Red wifli, however get closest to cassette at the 28 end so Digirit would do better here as it move further away from cassette when the chain tension is high (using 28 in the back).

I think in most case people have more problem about pulley is too close to the cassette at the big end of cassette so i guess Digirit's design is better in general.
Let me know what do you think!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com