Padded tight vs thicker padded saddle net weight comparison

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VengeSWrks

by VengeSWrks

Perfectly sized saddle, saddle height, position and importantly good quality fitted bibs. Occasionally I would use butt'r butt cream but only when I'm doing 80+ mile rides.

azmio

by azmio

Isti,

I am the other way around, with non padded tight going to padded tight. Decided to move back to non padded tight when all the facts and figures are on the table.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

azmio wrote:wingguy, why should I tell you?

Because I'm pretty sure that no-one reading this believes you, especially since you don't seem to get that chamois padding works in a fundamentally different way to saddle padding, and what you're asking for might just be impossible.

Just because an idea is 'out of the box' it doesn't mean it's a good idea. If someone walks into a meeting and says 'hey, why don't we make aeroplanes out of lead?' it's still a dumb idea, even if it is radical thinking.

mattr

by mattr

azmio wrote:Decided to move back to non padded tight when all the facts and figures are on the table.
Only seen a few irrelevant figures so far. Where are the facts? (Opinions don't count)

And TBH if your padded tights are slowing you down, maybe get some that fit?

azmio

by azmio

Wingguy, F1 and motogp people pay big bucks for weight reduction and they are crazier than most people in this forum. I am still wondering why the F1 drivers and motogp riders do not wear chamois?

azmio

by azmio

Mattr

Have you measured the chamois total areas and compared it with saddle's total areas? We are all in weight weenies forum here so any idea for weight reduction is relevant

kkibbler

by kkibbler

azmio wrote:I am still wondering why the F1 drivers and motogp riders do not wear chamois?

Same reason they don't wear figure skates I imagine.

azmio

by azmio

Kkibbler, excellent answer because it is related to my question on why chamois is needed if saddle can be designed well for people who do not want to wear chamois but wants the total weight to be low.

mattr

by mattr

azmio wrote:I am still wondering why the F1 drivers and motogp riders do not wear chamois?
They don't pedal. And the few i've met over the years all wear chamois when they do cycle.

And as for measuring chamois, with all the combinations of moving about on the saddle, and the 4 or 5 different saddles/bikes i use, it's pretty much a 100% match.

But i have decent bib tights that fit.

And i never ever compromise fit or comfort to save weight.

azmio

by azmio

mattr,

the padding for my saddles have smaller areas than the chamois areas. The ones with cutout in the middle have even smaller padding areas. I havent tore apart the padding of my saddles and weigh it though, but someday I will in the interest of fact.

Whether compromising comfort or not is depending on individual. For all my long distance cross country mountain bike race, I didnt wear any chamois and I havent got comfort issues at all regardless of long miles of gravels or rocks that I pedalled while sitting. This is where saddle selection is important and unlike my chamois, my saddles do not absorb mud or water during the races.

wingguy

by wingguy

azmio wrote:...why chamois is needed IF saddle can be designed well for people who do not want to wear chamois but wants the total weight to be low.

Is your answer in the question, maybe?

wingguy

by wingguy

I guess that sums up the amount of thought you've put into this, eh? :noidea:

azmio

by azmio

wingguy wrote:

Are you running out of point and twisting what I wrote for the sake of continuing? It is an analogy to make people think that if chamois is so important for weight saving, health and comfort, why dont racers in other discipline also wear chamois?

wingguy

by wingguy

azmio wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Are you running out of point and twisting what I wrote for the sake of continuing? It is an analogy to make people think that if chamois is so important for weight saving, health and comfort, why dont racers in other discipline also wear chamois?

I'm not twisting what you wrote. If you haven't even considered that the requirements of drivers and bike riders might be different then you clearly haven't put the slightest fraction of thought into your argument whatsoever. It's like saying if chamois are so good why don't we build houses out of them?

Also, no-one said that chamois are important for weight saving. In fact several people pointed out that the comfort aspect trumps any weight consideration. So you were saying about twisting?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

TBH moto gp riders do wear something very similar to chamois. And for a very similar reason.

Except they wear it all over.