Padded tight vs thicker padded saddle net weight comparison

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fiery

by Fiery

F1 drivers obviously don't care about weight at all. Otherwise they'd be wearing lycra suits and styrofoam helmets like cyclists do.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The fact they sit in a piece of carbon fiber moulded to them has 0 relevance either ;)
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

azmio wrote:Roox,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am getting older and older thus comfort is my main priority nowadays. In the 80s, I can still remember that a hard plastic saddle with no padding was comfy enough, those days are long gone when I got older.

Now if you are saying that 102 grams is fine with you, I am waiting for some saddle manufacturer to have a comfy saddle that requires no chamois at 200 grams. This way, it will be equivalent to having 102 gram saddle with chamois (+ 100 gram). As i wrote earlier, it is raining a lot during weekend when I ride for hours and it helps a lot if I am not wearing any chamois.

Serious answer now.

Who is the target audience for this chamois-less saddle beside you personally? You mention daily commuters. From my experience, plain-clothes daily commuters by and large don't care about one, or five, hundred grams extra on their bikes, they are far more concerned with convenience, safety and comfort. The relatively few weight weenie commuters for whom 100 g is a considerable difference typically also wear actual cycling-specific clothing for the better performance it provides, chamois included. (By the way, how much do everyday pants that a commuter would wear weigh compared to padded cycling shorts?)

The second target group seems to be recreational weight weenie riders for whom extra padding is actually more comfortable than less padding plus chamois pad. Well, that's the elephant in this room. As can easily be seen from this thread alone, for most people chamois pass provides more than just extra padding and is not something that can be replaced by simply adding more of the same padding to the saddle. So you either have to find a completely new type of saddle padding that will replace all the functions that a chamois pad performs, or you have to make sure that there actually exist a significant number of weight weenies who really use chamois for padding alone and nothing else.

Unless you are willing to put in the work and/or funding into development of such a saddle, good luck waiting for someone else to do it. If you are willing to get involved personally, best of luck with that too, with no sarcasm. If you succeed, you will have a great new product indeed.

stk57

by stk57

azmio wrote:BRM, do you have to personal attack me just because I have different opinion?.

Didn't you know that BRM fills the unconstructive grumpy replier slot that every forum has ? :D

Just check his posts/replies. You're not alone. :beerchug:

BRM

by BRM

Unconstructive? I said as usual a lot of valid things. That you focus on me here only, instead of the odd thoughts the TS comes with, says enough.
Apparently you have nothing to add in this topic but only write here to attack me.

React on my words. Discuss the subject or stay out.

:wink:

BRM

by BRM

azmio wrote: . . . For my day job, we innovate not by following others but by looking into ways that are more practical and beneficial to the customers.

azmio wrote: . . . We change the rules all the times and won ourselves many F1 constructor championships in the past.

I'm sincere curious about all the innovations that have come from your company/group and in particular from your personal mind.
Can you provide us a list with them?
With your long history in F1 you must have many examples.

stk57

by stk57

azmio wrote: . . . For my day job, we innovate not by following others but by looking into ways that are more practical and beneficial to the customers.

azmio wrote: . . . We change the rules all the times and won ourselves many F1 constructor championships in the past.

Hey, you ! Don't try to antagonize BRM. Listen and drink his wisdom (it sweats all over from its posts, just take a look at them, there's a link on its profile just for that, his modop will jump at you) !

Submit or stay out ! That's the WW motto ... since BRM subscription means one-track (or one-trail for MTB threads) thinking ! :smartass:

And RTFM ! Make your bed or you're grounded ! Finish your plate ! Shhhhhhhsh, do not dare to reply !

Fine ?! I warned you : You're grounded ! Gimme those wheels ! :smartass:
It's winter anyway, you don't need them and should be training indoors, porcelain :
one random BRM post a day. To make the world cleaner

stk57

by stk57

BRM wrote:I said as usual a lot of valid things.
:wink:

Oh. my. god.

Now that Trump went unexpectedly through the WW account creation process, we're all doomed !

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

do you feel better now Stk57? with that of your chest.

Could you please stop behaving like you say BRM is behaving and get this thread back on track.

There's a number of interesting questions for azmio to answer. I'm looking forward to it and don't want the thread polluted with your personal issues

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Shrike

by Shrike

Body modification would be my route. Doctor the sit bones in some way.

Any extra weight from the modification could be more than counterbalanced by removing a kidney and appendix.

No chamois and no padded saddle.