Handlebar for my gf

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jemima

by jemima

Profile Designs 1 zero/5

reach 70mm
drop 122mm
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, during the weekend i remasure her shoulders again. It's about 34.5 cm - 35.6 cm, and when i analyze her posture seem that her arms are to strechted because of wide position on the handlebars. I also put shorter stem, and put it with positive angle (90mm stem, +6%).

Another problem, is brake levers distance which is not adjustable on Campagnolo Veloce.

So as i can see 38 cm handlebar is must, and i put down to three. Which from this three would have shorter distance to the brake levers?

1. Deda RMH01

2. Ritchey Comp Logic Curve

3. 3T Ergonova Pro

I must order online, and cant see them in flash

Fiery

by Fiery

The Ergonova has a strange shape, if you set it up for a flat transition the reach ends up noticeably longer than the nominal 75 mm. Deda and Ritchey are more conventional and seem quite similar to one another.

Deda:

Ritchey:

Ritchey example is rotated up compared to the Deda, but the relative lever to drop distance is pretty much the same.
Last edited by Fiery on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Very usefull information. But im wondering, why if ur shoulders are 36-38, u did not buy 38 cm and u bough 40?[/quote]

Got the 40 cm on sale and the 38 cm is not to common..... :thumbup:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

FSA SL-K Compact.... Surprised these don't come up very often in discussion... probably my favorite bar for situtations like you describe. I also like the feel of them and how they interface with Campy. They have a 4 degree outward bend, so if you got a 38cm bar (measured c-c) that means they're really about 36cm at the hoods.
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/cyclocross/sl-k-compact/#
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BRM

by BRM

When looking for something cheap, the alu FSA Omega is similar in shape. Around 25-35 euro.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I was going to recommend the alloy version at first, but I didn't see it on the first page I opened up. It's on the next page of their handlebar section. The FSA's would really would be my first choice here. They have quite a few with subtle differences... I think the key is to get a version with the 4 degree sweep in a 38 c-c size. Some have a semi flat top and is one of the few that I actually like the feel of over a round bar because you can actually pivot them within a range and they still feel great. I noticed with a bar like the Deda Presa if it isn't exactly right, the edge of the squashed portion of the tops tended to dig into my palm.

Also, 125mm is a very shallow drop, too shallow for me personally, but great for maybe a smallish person. Without the 4 degree sweep you can tend to jam your wrists into the sides when you're in the drops of very shallow bars. And this is even more pronounced if the bars are wider than your natural shoulder width. Sounds like your girlfriend is very narrow so keep that in mind as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

Calnago wrote:FSA SL-K Compact.... Surprised these don't come up very often in discussion... probably my favorite bar for situtations like you describe. I also like the feel of them and how they interface with Campy. They have a 4 degree outward bend, so if you got a 38cm bar (measured c-c) that means they're really about 36cm at the hoods.
http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/cyclocross/sl-k-compact/#

Im curios.. On handlebars with hoods narrower then drops (like this example of FSA). Which dimension should correspond to shoulder width? The hoods or drops?

For example my ZIPP Service Course SL is 42 cm in the hoods, and 44cm in the drops. My shoulders are 42.. Should i go one dimension lower, or this ok?

BTW, about my gf today we rode together, but i put for her shorter stem, i rotate the handlebar a bit up and also switched the stem in positive angle way.. Now she did not complain about pain in the arms, and she feel comfortable.. Still i think she need narrower handlebar, but i'll let her ride for a while like this to understund the position and to feel handling a bit more..

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

why don't you go 36? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-PRO-PLT ... Swt7ZXpC4R

I believe deda also makes 36cm cc bars (they call it 38cm oo)

3Pio

by 3Pio

vejnemojnen wrote:why don't you go 36? :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-PRO-PLT ... Swt7ZXpC4R

I believe deda also makes 36cm cc bars (they call it 38cm oo)

Yes, Deda measure them OutSide to Outside.. Im not sure if 36 cm would be to narrow (even coresponding to her shoulders), and make the whole handling less stable..