Workswell 085 Road Build - Size 49

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Received a painted Workswell 085 frameset last night.
This is a temporary frame for my wife to see if a smaller bike works better for her (before pulling the trigger on a custom.)

What came in the box:
The frame is a 49 from their geo chart. (51.3 mm effective top tube.)
984 grams - Painted frame with RD / FD hangers and all internal cable routing plugs.
388 grams - Painted fork uncut with 300mm steerer.
68 grams - Headset
58 grams - Compression plug.
21 grams - Seatpost clamp
23 grams - 006 bottle cages each weigh this in matte 3K.

This will effectively drop her bike weight by over 1 kg from what she is using now (53 mm top tube steel Ciocc, which will be sad to see go in all honesty).

Pics are below. I will build it this week time allowing.

Some first impression comments:

Workswell was pleasant to deal with on the order. There were some moments of 'lost in translation' but that was expected.

The frameset was nicely boxed and the shipping via UK to Austria did not result in any additional charges.

The paint seems acceptably applied, but it is not anywhere near the color requested - which was a light silver metallic. The color that arrived is a dark, flat, gloss gray. Kinda battleship gray.
This is odd since I did provide Workswell with color codes and the correspondence on the paint was considerable. Perhaps they had this color ready. Whatever, it is a temp frame anyway.

I initially ordered the Pressfit frame and then was advised this might take some additional time but that a BSA threaded frame was available.
I took that, but am again left with the feeling that this frame 'needed a home' so to speak and it got into the shipping box. :wink:

The correspondence with Workswell indicated that the frameset came with a seatpost, but I did not receive one. I have inquired about this.

The frame and fork will fit fat 28mm Challenge clinchers, but I will put 25mm tires in for the build.

The frame / dropouts are straight. The rear derailleur hanger only needed nominal adjustment to get aligned well. It does seem like a soft RD hanger from material.
I will keep my eye on the shifting quality when it is on the road.

The bottle cage mounts are aligned properly, but for some reason the aftermarket bolts I planned to use will not feed into the threads.
They are same size bolt diameter and pitch as provided by Workswell. :noidea:

The seat tube bottle cage mounts are set slightly too high to use the 006 cages as the front triangle is small and the bottle needs to be twisted into place.
I will dremel out the plastic Blackburn cages I have so that one sits further down and frees up some bottle access.

The headset dropped into place with no issues and the seat tube ID appears to be right on spec and a snug 27.2.

The one item I am having trouble with is the routing of the internal cables.
There is a plastic guide that sits on the underside of the BB shell but I cannot get it out when the screw is removed.
(The threaded BB shell insert that is bonded in prevents me from accessing the cables from that vantage point.)
I am afraid to lever the plastic guide out for fear of breaking it or chipping the finish on the BB shell. I'll post a pic later. Any advice is appreciated.

Scale pics for now:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tigoose

by tigoose

i really like that color

liam7020

by liam7020

Can you post pics of the full frameset? Ta
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Shrike

by Shrike

I would have loved them to have done my frame in that grey. It's like the Cervelo R5 grey. Gorgeous!

I just asked for matte black because thought that would be easiest for them to pull off. Congrats!

glepore

by glepore

I'm speculating that they put the bottom guide in there before the paint was fully cured, and between the tight fit and the soft paint it bonded in place. I'd pry around with a thin pick or screwdriver.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I'll post up some other photos this week as I build it. Hopefully my wife can test ride it this weekend.
Colored bits may not all work together, but it should be functioning in a few days.

Full frame shots will be included, Liam7020!

You are probably correct in that comment, glepore. Might use a thin knitting needle with a slight hook to reach into the screw hole and pry the cover off. It must be removeable.

As for the seatpost, that was my mistake. It was not included in my final order request, which means I was thinking then as I have too many posts in the spare parts bin as it is.

Svetty

by Svetty

The finish does look nice - thick and lustrous :)

peted76

by peted76

Nice colour, a good cock up!

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I sure like the mistake color. My size bike also, hope to see the finished bike soon!

Scott
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

It is of course, as expected, taking a bit longer to complete the build for my wife.
I should be done by the end of the day (if everyone just leaves me the f alone) :)

The crankset we transferred over is a Fulcrum Racing Torq RS and the graphics match surprisingly well.
Ran into some snags, including the need to procure a longer front brake mounting nut.
Also, I am reminded how much I loathe internal shift cable routing. On that note, I got the BB guide cap off and it was indeed a bit stuck to the paint. No worries, some patience got it out without damaging anything. When doing the cables, I noticed there was a surprising level of dust inside the frameset. So much so that I considered stripping it again for a bath. But with time in mind, I attempted to vacuum as much as possible out. The inside of the frame actually looked ok, much better than expected. Not the bladder mess of some open mold frames I have read about.

Here's some pics. Note, we are setting the position very high for the moment due to shoulder/hand injuries, hence the spacer tower extraordinare.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Here's some better pics.
The final position is being settled, currently the post is about 15mm higher than in these shots.
Build so far is:
Campagnolo 10 speed mix, Fulcrum RS crank
Kalloy UNO stem
3T Ergonova Pro bars
Ritchey Superlogic post
Selle San Marco Squadra Ti
Extralite clamp
Jagwire cables / housing
Ciamillo ZG calipers
Blackburn Slick cages
Lizard Skin tape
Wheels: KinLin XR300 rims, 32 hole f/r, Sapim CX Ray spokes, Alchemy ORC/ELF hubs
WR Compositi skewers
Michelin Pro4 Service Course 25mm tires
And some other orange bits.
I'll weigh it better, but bathroom scale says about 7.25 kg as pictured.
A Canyon chain catcher just arrived.
Changes will be minimal as this is a temporary bike but upgraded pedals and bars.
My wife also has her eye on my Astute saddle which recently came off one of my bikes.
The bar position should come down once she regains flexibility and mobility.

grumpus

by grumpus

Looks nice! My experience building an 066 matched yours: dusty but nice inside, one minor paint-related (actually clearcoat-related) headache in assembly. Why did you end up going with the blackburn cages over the workswell?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The Workswell cages are not very flexible and have a steep entry for the bottle.
The 49 cm frame sizing does not allow an easy bottle removal / replacement, and there was no space in the Workswell cage design to drill new, higher holes to allow the cage to sit lower on the seat tube.
So I grabbed some Blackburn Slicks off another bike and drilled them out to sit lower. That was easy as the Slicks are just plastic, albeit quite light considering their price (same weight as the Workswell cages actually.)
I'll test the Workswell cages on one of my bikes.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Looks good Stoli. An alternative option for cages is a side cage, a la Arundel style, these can work quite well on smaller/sloping frames.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

She's definitely getting some Arundels on the custom when it is ready. :thumbup: