Best Waterproof Shoe covers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

Suggestions and experience with shoe covers - specifically which ones will actually keep your feet dry in rain and water splashing up from the front wheel?

I ride a fair amount in the rain and wet - and my current ones start soaking through after about an hour - usually from the spray from the front tire (I have SKS Race Blade Pro XL fenders). Soggy feet is the only thing that brings me down when riding. All my other clothing gear is great...

This is something worth a lot to me... But I don't think I'd spend more than $150 on a pair...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hmai18

by hmai18

1. Pants/tights OVER booties.
2. Proper front extension flap that reaches almost to the ground and is wide enough to deflect any spray wide.
3. I gave up on waterproof booties and just got Endura neoprene booties that keep my feet insulated when wet.

Velotoze will offer a completely impermeable surface, but isn't going to be breathable at all. I'm also not sure how they're going to hold up to long term use, but they're (relatively) inexpensive.

McGilli

by McGilli

hmai18 wrote:1. Pants/tights OVER booties.
2. Proper front extension flap that reaches almost to the ground and is wide enough to deflect any spray wide.

1. Yeah tights over booties for sure.
2. I've noticed a few guys around who have made extensions to their fenders to lengthen and widen them at the end. I'll be doing that also.

reknop

by reknop

I'm aiming at the Assos rain booties. Gribgrap has an aqua proof version as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

VeloToze. Bone dry every time regardless of how much rain. Water simply cannot get in. I have used these in epic downpours. Entire body soaked through to the skin but my feet were dry.

But:
Delicate latex, so not at all durable.
Very difficult to put on.
If you sweat your feet will get damp - still better then a shoe full of rain water.
Outside of shoe may get damp from condensation.
Lower leg must be well shaved.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

1415chris

by 1415chris

... and add inside talc when storing.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I find that even if the cover is waterproof water always seems to get inside from the top of the sock or around the cleat, now just go with neoprene, feet get wet but stay warm
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

x a million , for velotoze.

zulu695

by zulu695

Velotoze, I have tried a few commuting everyday rain or shine and they are the only one that keep my feet dry. You need something that goes high enough and will seal against the SKIN not socks or tights.

minus, they are fragile a little bit, but still tough in some way, I cannibalized a set for my commuter shoes (specy 5 SPD) and I used them for over a year.
They are hard to put on. But you get used to it knowing they will keep your feet dry.
If it is warm, your feet will sweat a bit.

They are cheap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com