Play on Campagnolo Ultra Torque chainset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

icenutter

by icenutter

There's about 2mm of lateral play in my 2014 Campag Super Record Chainset. See video below. This doesn't seem right, but I don't know anyone with a similar chainset I can compare it to. Should I be worried?

https://vimeo.com/187539005

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

It's an Ultra Torque chainset. You may want to change the thread title.

Is the wave washer fitted in the NDS and the circlip fitted in the DS?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Repeating what @585 said. Also, if the wavy washer is in fact installed, it's not working properly in that when you push the crank in laterally, you seem to have to pull it back manually, whereas if everything was working properly that should just instantly spring back from the wavy washers force. Also, if the BB shell is within spec, and the circlip is installed, there shouldn't be more than about 0.25mm of lateral play there. Is it a new frame? Do you know what the BB shell width is?
Oh, I can't really see the cups very well, but they don't look to be Campy... are they? It's not an Overtorque crank is it, in which case it does not use a wavy washer but you would need to adjust the play out using that system.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

icenutter

by icenutter

Thanks for the help. The bike is new to me, but is an ex-team bike so has been ridden.

After a bit of googing to work out what they look like; there's no circlip, and I don't think there is a wavy washer either.

I'm not sure what the bb shell width is, but I think my problem is the lack of the wavy washer.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes... what frame is it if you don't mind saying? They are very easy cranks to work on with the right tools. You do need a long 10mm hex wrench.
At this point, you should pull the crank out to see exactly what you are dealing with. Good chance to clean everything up in there and get yourself familiar with the system as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

icenutter wrote:Thanks for the help. The bike is new to me, but is an ex-team bike so has been ridden.

After a bit of googing to work out what they look like; there's no circlip, and I don't think there is a wavy washer either.

I'm not sure what the bb shell width is, but I think my problem is the lack of the wavy washer.

No. The problem would be the lack of the retaining clip on the DS cup. That is what retains the crank. Not the wave washer.

It needs to be installed when installing the DS crank half and before installing the NDS half.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

icenutter

by icenutter

Calnago wrote:Yes... what frame is it if you don't mind saying? They are very easy cranks to work on with the right tools. You do need a long 10mm hex wrench.

It's a 2014 Canyon Ultimate SLX. And thanks for the tip about the long 10mm hex.

icenutter

by icenutter

Obligatory post unboxing photos in the kitchen, and excuse my son's head in the first one.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Excuse me for saying so but that looks like a shabby build from what can be seen in the photos.

If they've missed something as fundamental as correct assembly of a UT chainset, I'd follow Calnago's advice but take it to the next level and take the whole thing apart and start again, or if you aren't confident doing that, take it to a Campag ProShop and ask them to do it - OK, it may cost you a few pounds / dollars, etc ... but you'd have some peace of mind that something else essential hasn't been missed.

If you do it yourself, one thing to be careful of - the fixing bolt for the UT chainset is accessed from the drive side & it's Super Record Ti axle so it undoes CLOCKWISE, being LH threaded ... Campag did this to prevent a problem they had with early iterations of the Ti bolt, RH threaded, getting jammed when people trying to save weight (ahem!) tried to use the Ti Bolt in steel-axle cranks and got it jammed so it would not turn in either direction due to galling & the different thread form used in the Ti bolt ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Miller

by Miller

Is it shabby? Looks like a lovely bike.
To the OP, at least the RH brake lever is in the 'open' position to allow easy wheel removal. You probably know that.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

What a ride.... Congrats!

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Miller wrote:Is it shabby? Looks like a lovely bike.
To the OP, at least the RH brake lever is in the 'open' position to allow easy wheel removal. You probably know that.

Brake cable length.
Front mech height.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Looking for helpful instructions on how to install a UT crank (the Campy site seemed to be down), I checked a GCN video and Park Tools instructions - and both got it wrong - unbelievable.

Install DS crank, click retaining clip into place, THEN install NDS crank.

One.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It does not matter when you install the retaining clip, so long as you do. But it's definitely good practice to install it before you put the non drive side crank in so you don't push out the drive side and watch it drop on its teeth on a concrete floor or something. D'oh, hate when that happens.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Calnago wrote:It does not matter when you install the retaining clip, so long as you do. But it's definitely good practice to install it before you put the non drive side crank in so you don't push out the drive side and watch it drop on its teeth on a concrete floor or something. D'oh, hate when that happens.

It matters in that it's easier to install DS first and check that the clip is doing it's job without the connection to the rest of the assembly. It's not just there for assembly, it holds the whole crank laterally in use.

This is a case where the instructions are not hard to follow, so why not?

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com