Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:00 am 

Saddle flex: to me, the wings need to flex more than the center part. The middle part of the saddle should be relatively stable while pedaling (because the hips should remain stable and not rock from side to side). The wings should flex more with pedaling: if the wings are stiff, it's more likely that the pressure remains on the sitbones (rather than move around), causing sitbone pain over long rides. Flex in the middle part of the saddle seem to help with the more aggressive position, e.g. in the drops on the rami, but slightly. Flexibility might help reduce road buzz in general (in exchange for bounciness).

Shore A 35 is quite firm, similar to many of the available saddles on the market today. 65 will be too hard.

It is definitely possible to get rid of sitbone pain. The trick is to distribute pressure elsewhere. If you can achieve a riding posture that distributes pressure to the rami (e.g. rotate your hips forward), then your sitbones support less of your weight and the pain reduces. If the saddle shape fits your body better, then weight is distributed over a larger area and pressure at any one spot reduces. If your saddle wings flex, then pressure will move around the sitbone area as you pedal. Think about leather saddles, which are very flexible and comfortable. They work by a) conforming their shape to your body, and b) flexing while pedaling ensuring significant contact patch throughout.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:00 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:24 am 

Hi, I have a slightly different but related question. I have an all carbon saddle that I like, and I don't need more padding but I do need more friction. The surface is so smooth that my butt moves around at the slightest change in terrain. Does anyone have any suggestions for something I could add to the surface that would increase its friction?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:52 am 

Perhaps take helicopter tape, the type you put on the frame to protect against flying rocks, and stick on the surface. The tape should be slightly rubbery, I think the 8mil version should be thin enough. I don't think anybody sells tape that's wide/long enough to cover the entire surface in one piece. Will be interesting to see how the edges hold up over time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:51 am 

prototoast wrote:
Hi, I have a slightly different but related question. I have an all carbon saddle that I like, and I don't need more padding but I do need more friction. The surface is so smooth that my butt moves around at the slightest change in terrain. Does anyone have any suggestions for something I could add to the surface that would increase its friction?

The helicopter tape is a good idea, but if the edges peeling proves to be a problem then you might want to look at some sort of painted on finish. Anything from a matte finish for just a hair more grip, to a rubberized paint like plasti coat. You could also experiment with pressing a material into the semi dried paint to give it texture.

I had wanted to find a source of the CPC material that Prologo uses as I thought that could be useful for customizing saddles, but haven't had any luck yet. That would actually be well suited to the OP's needs too, as it is supposed to be great for pressure and vibration reduction.

Or you could just use sandpaper grip tape like Tony Martin on his TT bike!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:36 am 

I too think the problem it's not about the saddle but the bibs. A good carbon saddle must flex where it needs to and is not the padding that is going to give it more comfort! When you have a good pair of bibs with let's say 10mm of good chamois, it's not the 1-2mm saddle padding that will make any difference! It can help though when you have some technical sections where you need to use your thighs to hold the bike (mostly on MTB, i find it rare to be needed on road riding). My question would be - What bibs are you using?

My guess would be to keep the saddle, try some quality pair of bibs (Rapha, Assos, Castelli - not trying by any means to adverstise them, just for the record :lol: :lol: ). If you keep finding it uncomfortable, make minor adjustments on the saddle angle and if it still persists, probably that saddle isn't just for you, you need to try another one!

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:39 pm 

TheKaiser wrote:

Or you could just use sandpaper grip tape like Tony Martin on his TT bike!

Yeah really good idea! :)

- 3m and Heskins have several gripping materials
- There are also antislip fabrics/ cloth available that you maybe can use for this purpose