Self adhesive foam padding to make carbon seat more comfortable - what kind?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hey!

Like the topic suggests I'm interested to add just a simple layer of padding to my carbon seat. I can take 2-3 hour rides but after that it does start to irritate. I'm rarely out more than 5 hours so I guess I don't need more than a basic layer of something.

What material is best suitable for the job. What gives the best comfort per gram of weight sort of speak...

What thickness would you recommend? 2,3,5mm?

The seat I have now is completely rigid. Only minimal flex. When my bibs were brand new the padding was enough to forget the seat but now a few months later the padding is getting a bit soft so I'm thinking to add a layer of foam rubber or something equivalent.

Anyone experiment with different materials?

A quick look at my local market shows that whats available is for example neoprene and epdm pads. The thickness can be anything between 1 and 10mm. Whats the difference? Is one too soft to go thin layer with or?

Thanks for reading and for the advice. /a
Last edited by alcatraz on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

2nd pair of bibshorts

ProN3wbie

by ProN3wbie

Get a new saddle or better bibs.......

alcatraz

by alcatraz

That is very helpful, you sob's! :lol:

I'm still waiting for an answer. I've seen pictures of modified carbon seats in the gallery threads but I can't remember the details.

I found out that epdm is lighter but does anyone have experience using it? Is it too soft to use as a light dampening layer on a hard surface?

/a

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I also had a similar situation bought a set of castelli aero race bibs. I can now ride upto 5 hours on my carbon saddle.

Marin

by Marin

Neoprene, spray adhesive and leather on top is how I do it.

Better get a decent saddle though, if it doesn't flex it's no good

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

They say, "You can't polish a turd".

Which in this case means that if the saddle isn't right for you, it isn't right. I very much doubt that a layer of padding will do much for you.

It's the shape and the flex of the seat that counts.

Cut your losses and try a different saddle.

You may find a 30$ one more comfy than a $300 one.

BRM

by BRM

When you use some selfadhesive padding on your saddle then proberbly after some time (by bodyheat and friction) the glue will travel and make the edges of the padding sticky.

- Buy a new saddle with no focus on weight but comfort
- Bibs with thicker/better chamois.
- Use chamois creme

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I will find out if I need to change the seat then. :)

I wish I'd gotten a bit more info on the neoprene thickness though.

I know that carbon seats have a low adoption rate. Fun to try but rarely a keeper for most riders. Thing is I've done a few thousand kilometers already so the break in period is long over. It's not like I just got it and that I'm stubbornly trying to go down with a sinking ship.

/a

numberSix

by numberSix

Go to an upholstery shop and ask a professional?
While repairing an SLR, I discovered the foam took a full week to recover from the clamping force. So that means it shapes to you and stays that way, if you ride the same bike day in and out. Neoprene isn't like that.

I agree with the above posters about shape. IME thicker chamois are worse because they mold around your sit bones and further cut off blood flow. Same with deeply padded saddles

grumpus

by grumpus

I was thinking about trying a rowing seat pad. Seems like it would be subject to the same kind of forces as a bicycle seat, and it would give you the chance to make some minor adjustments to the effective shape of the saddle. For $3.50 it's worth a shot before changing saddles. http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/a ... s/seat-pad

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

OP: There are online shops that sell orthopedic foam sheets. Look for firmness around 35 Shore A and thickness of 4mm and above. You can use contact adhesive from the local hardware store.

And yes the carbon shell should flex, padding compensates for that flexibility so you may need thicker padding if the shell doesn't flex.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

antonioiglesius wrote: padding compensates for that flexibility so you may need thicker padding if the shell doesn't flex.

I would disagree, padding is not the same thing as shell flexibility, it doesn't behave in the same way.

Wookski

by Wookski

Padding is rarely the issue- I use tune komm vor full carbon saddles exclusively and suffer no pain/ discomfort even on longer 5+ hour efforts. Discomfort is typically saddle shape or setup related- get a proper fit before you start taping sponges to your saddle!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

antonioiglesius wrote:OP: There are online shops that sell orthopedic foam sheets. Look for firmness around 35 Shore A and thickness of 4mm and above. You can use contact adhesive from the local hardware store.

And yes the carbon shell should flex, padding compensates for that flexibility so you may need thicker padding if the shell doesn't flex.

That is very interesting information antonio. I'll go with your suggestion.

I'm 65kg fully dressed and ready. The seat does flex but not by more than plus minus 2-3 mm at the center between suspension points. Chamois is nothing advanced or special, regular thickness and hardness I guess.

How does this compare to you? Would you alter these values for my situation?

I'll ask for 35 Shore-A. Seems the common value of most sellers is 65 Shore-A. I'll try to get something softer.

The pain is identical to the pain I used to have with my old standard padded saddle (but after longer time). Like after 10 hours riding. The pain is from right under the sit bones. I don't really see how you can get rid of that completely, only postpone it.

/a

Edit: This might sound funny but I have a 3mm mousemat and a 3mm laptop gel skin case. The hardness scale in this link puts 35 Shore A to about a rubber band which canzt be that far off these objects. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com