Supersix sticky rear brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Simon430

by Simon430

Hi,

On my cannondale supersix hi mod 2014 the rear brake cable is sticking, as in the lever has free play and you can push the brake caliper apart, I've changed the brake cable and housing and the problem does go away for a month or two but comes back. The entry point for the rear brake at the headtube seems to be at an awkward angle for entry and not optimal for brake usage. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? It's a size 56cm as I see on the smaller sizes they had a different routing with a sram red aerolink brake.

Rev

by Rev

I had similar problems with my CAAD and found some photos online of some mods the Garmin mechanics were using to get around it. Ultimately you need to use a more flexible section of brake outer where the brake cable enters the head tube, whether that be a section of the flexi outer that Jagwire supply for use at the hoods, 5 or 6 nokon links, or even a flexi v-brake noodle.

I started with the nokon links and still wasn't that happy with the angle the cable was taking in to the head tube, I've since gone to the flexi v-brake noodle and I'm much happier with it now. I'll be doing the same to my Evo when I next change brake cables
Attachments
evo head tube.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurets

by Kurets

Yeah, I am really annoyed by the cable routing for the rear brake on my supersix. Can't say I am familiar with the brake getting sticky, my expectation would be that the little cable in the rear is gritty, but you already changed that so it should be ok.

Have you tried taking the brake apart and lubing it? The fact that new cables is only a temporary fix for you indicates that there is a bigger issue than just sticky cables. On most bikes the rear brake gets covered in grime, gets sluggish and heavy.

Sent from mTalk

Simon430

by Simon430

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the flexible brake noodle, didn't know these things existed so I might purchase one and see how it goes. Seen this, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bran ... prod138559, that should do the ticket nicely but says it's only got 18 degrees of movement, I'm needing probably around 90 as the bend is that tight when it enters the headtube. Do you know of any others that might work?

Kurets, I'm inclined to agree with you on the point it could be something else but when I've pulled it all apart and cleaned everything slips and slides wonderfully, seems to be when you turn the handlebar the angle of the cable routing messes up the brake cable and it's tension.

Kind regards,
Simon

Antoine

by Antoine

Full Nokon works well on mine

Rev

by Rev

Simon430 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the flexible brake noodle, didn't know these things existed so I might purchase one and see how it goes. Seen this, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bran ... prod138559, that should do the ticket nicely but says it's only got 18 degrees of movement, I'm needing probably around 90 as the bend is that tight when it enters the headtube. Do you know of any others that might work?

Thats exactly what I've used on the CAAD, I just cut the nipple end off to insert the noodle in to the frame

Simon430

by Simon430

Wouldn't the noodle just slip into the frame if you don't have the end cap on? No cable stop for the brake cable to be pulled against?

Kurets

by Kurets

The cable stop is built into the head tube.

greenedgefan

by greenedgefan

Kurets wrote:The cable stop is built into the head tube.

Sort of, it is removable.

greenedgefan

by greenedgefan

This is also an issue on my 2015 CAAD10, one which I haven't solved to my satisfaction yet. Currently I'm using an ultra stiff brake outer made by Goodrich. Makes turning the bars a little sluggish though but is working (for now).

freshlegs

by freshlegs

I saw this thread and thought I would post my solution Incase other people were having the same issue.

I used a v brake flexible cable about 10cm long are mentioned here. Rear brakes work silky smooth now.
93CC8BED-E6DE-425A-91AA-F8DF132BDA8F.jpeg

garjo

by garjo

greenedgefan wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:52 am
Kurets wrote:The cable stop is built into the head tube.
Sort of, it is removable.
Hello, please do you know how to remove it?
I'm asking it because I'm having some problems with rear brake routing on my Supersix: the cable stop built into head tube doesn't let a 0,25mm liner with a 0,15mm brake cable inside pass (from rear hole to front hole), check my attachment, the hole looks having a diameter of 0,20mm max
Attachments
head tube hole.jpeg
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com