Colossi custom steel road frame - advice appreciated

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Booge

by Booge

On my quest for a steel road frame I've found Colossi bikes. Dutch ex pro's company making steel and Alu bikes in China for other brands.
Also do custom bikes, I've been quoted $1650 for a Columbus Spirit or Life tubing road frame painted in one colour (my choice), with Colossi decals, based on my measurements and the style of riding I do and requirements for the frame, they can also do more intricate paint for extra. The website has plenty of info and the frames they make look very good. Dealer in Oz is "Gear brisbane" (I'm in Vic) who have been lightning fast and helpful answering questions and giving quotes.

Yes I'm cautious, the Reynolds Logic road frameset was the first choice, known brand, recourse i assume would be easier if anything went wrong with it. Has anyone bought from a custom Chinese frame builder?

Is a custom frame from a Western builder really THAT much better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

"Dutch ex pro's company making steel and Alu bikes in China for other brands.
Also do custom bikes, I've been quoted $1650 for a Columbus Spirit or Life tubing road frame painted in one colour"

Is that Australian dollars or USA dollars? If Australian that equates to about $1300 US dollars. Steel custom for that is OK. Although the made in China aspect is not what I would consider custom. In the USA, Gunnar does a custom frame for about $1300 USD. No fork. I'd suggest looking at Australian custom frame builders. Doubt it would be any more expensive.

Booge

by Booge

Yeah that is in AUD. The frame builders here are around AUD $2500 -$3000 minimum for a frame. Really don't know if they would be worth the extra $1000 for a frame. It can be an expensive lesson if i rode the more expensive bike and thought "meh".

melps

by melps

Hi There,

Was surfing around and saw your post. Just want to share about my experience with Colossi. I ride a Rambler Road (Columbus Zona)

I was posted in China (ShenZhen) for a few months. I heard about colossi and decided to give them a visit. Went to their factory and meet the owner/founder and his son there. Very nice people.

The factory is legit and they not only make their own frames but to my surprise other very well know American brands as well (I cant reveal their names).

Their bikes are awesome and the ride quality of steel is addictive.

In case you are still looking for a steel frame, Colossi is seriously not bad in terms of quality.

Hope this helps!

Ciao...