Fast clincher tires with good ride quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

I turned those results into a spreadsheet. Take a copy and have a play
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

PS If the author / owner is reading, I gave source credit in the title :-)
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Grinley wrote:Count me in for another vote for the Vittoria Corsa G+. I just rode them for the first time last weekend and was very impressed with how supple they felt. From what I've read they test very well in rolling resistance tests (fast but not the fastest). They seem to have pretty decent puncture resistance for a tire in that tier. Overall it seems like a good balance of durability, ride quality, and speed if you're willing to drop the money on them. You probably can't go to wrong with any of those top tier tires though really.

Cheers,
Grinley

Last few years i ride Attack/Force (22mm in front, 24mm in rear), i found them very good tires, except i got a deep side cut after about 1500 km on two pairs, so i wont say they last too much miles (ok, roads here are very bad).No flats, just cut in the sidewall.

I found them very nice riding tires, nice grip, not harsh and very light (370 gm per pair real weight)

Today it would be first time riding 25mm, and i have a Vittoria Graphene G+. Im not impressed by the weight, 540 gm for the pair

But i'll write later how they ride compared to my fav attack/force :), anyway i'll be in process of ordering 4000 SII probably in 23mm (i think too much weight on this Vittoria). Im using Shamal Ultra wheelset with Vittoria Latex tubes... And i can feel big difference between riding Latex tubes vs regular ones, so maybe switching to Latex can upgrade 4000 S II in the way is asked in this thread

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Veloflex Master sidewalls are not durable haha.... 110km of chopped up roads killed my front one today. 3 warts growing on it by the end of the day.
Using Tapatalk

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Hexsense wrote:
TiCass wrote:Hum, the Michelin Power Competition?
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ition-2016

i bought a set of it.
front one work very well so far. rear one got 3 slices and become unusable within a week (part of that is luck). the rubber are pretty soft. they handle puncture test by rod-shaped object penetrate into the tire as bicyclerollingresistance test do very well. But i found it got cut or slice easily in real world.
Just my experience.

Same problem for me. Been on GP4000S2's for a few years and fancied a change, been through 2 rear Power Comp's so far because of big gashes in the side wall; one left me stranded as I couldn't even tape it to get me home. Wont buy them again. They did feel smoother than the GP4000's but had less grip imho, but I do struggle with grip and have not found a tyre that gives me more cornering confidence than the GP4000's yet and i get very few punctures so keep ending up back on the GP4000's. Some guy's in my club swear by the Schwalbe Ones but I didn't like them after 2 wet crashes.

It's annoying because I don't like the look of the GP4000's and am bored of them but I can't seem to find a better overall tyre. It was the same for me years ago with Michelins, I used the Axial Pros, then Pro Race for about 8 years and nothing came close, the GP3000 was rubbish in comparison.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

TiCass

by TiCass

cmcdonnell wrote:
Hexsense wrote:
TiCass wrote:Hum, the Michelin Power Competition?
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ition-2016

i bought a set of it.
front one work very well so far. rear one got 3 slices and become unusable within a week (part of that is luck). the rubber are pretty soft. they handle puncture test by rod-shaped object penetrate into the tire as bicyclerollingresistance test do very well. But i found it got cut or slice easily in real world.
Just my experience.

Same problem for me. Been on GP4000S2's for a few years and fancied a change, been through 2 rear Power Comp's so far because of big gashes in the side wall; one left me stranded as I couldn't even tape it to get me home. Wont buy them again. They did feel smoother than the GP4000's but had less grip imho, but I do struggle with grip and have not found a tyre that gives me more cornering confidence than the GP4000's yet and i get very few punctures so keep ending up back on the GP4000's. Some guy's in my club swear by the Schwalbe Ones but I didn't like them after 2 wet crashes.

It's annoying because I don't like the look of the GP4000's and am bored of them but I can't seem to find a better overall tyre. It was the same for me years ago with Michelins, I used the Axial Pros, then Pro Race for about 8 years and nothing came close, the GP3000 was rubbish in comparison.

Well, I guess I'm the lucky one. 1000km so far, no issue. I'll keep my finger crossed, but so far it's a positive experience.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Update on Vittoria Graphenne G+ 25mm tires.

Today, i rode 92 km, on route that i ride often. Definetly very comfrotable, very nice grip, very stable downhill, but maybe the weight penalty compared to attack/force made me to be a bit slower uphill. I'll check this on the climbs that i do often, so ill update if someone is interested. BTW, im not sure if that better comfort and grip is just because of 25mm, or even i go for G+ in 23mm would have similar feeling but lighter.

Is there that much difference between 23mm and 25mm in real life (im not sure what did more for grip and comfort. Just pure bigger width or maybe different brand then i was used to)? Im 75 kg, Shamal Ultra Wheelset

BmanX

by BmanX

The difference in tire size has a lot to do with rim width. I have narrower rims so I like 23's but on my wider rims I run 25's. Always with Latex.

I have also run Conti SS's as daily tires on my WW aero build as they were 168g tires and they held up for a very long time. I just replaced the rear with newer versions that are very light as well. NEVER a flat on this tires.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Continental 4000s II still remain well balanced tire. They roll just fine. Something you can race on and train on. Yes, Vittoria Corsa G+ and Specialized Turbo Cotton are fantastic race tires. I don't recommend training on these unless you like to deal with frequent flats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

have 600 miles on my Corsa Speed g+.. no complaints so far.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

F45

by F45

Why recommend Turbo Cotton to replace the 4000? The equivalent is the S works Turbo, and it rides very nice.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I recently did a Land's End to John O'Groats event covering 970 miles on just about every crap surface UK roads can throw at you. Plenty of shitty lanes and gravel strewn Scottish cycle lanes and only one puncture on a Corsa G+ clincher courtesy of a large rusty nail which would've gone through anything. Very impressed with the wear rate and resistance to significant cuts. Better than the previous CXs in that regard.

I've also been training and racing on these and the tub version since March (around 5k miles) and no other punctures.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I'm a longtime Schwalbe Ultremo / One 23c rider, so I can't make any firsthand comparisons to other brands. I've had excellent luck with Schwalbe tires over the years and continue to do so. I'm currently riding their latest One clincher 23c (not tubeless) w/Challenge latex tubes. When I "upgraded" from Ultremo ZX's to the One, it felt like suspension! The One is a noticeably softer ride. One's may not lead the Crr pack, but they're not bring up the rear AND they treat me right. Guess that makes me a Schwalbe homer! I accept that.

Two riding partners fell for Speci's "buy one, get one free" promo this summer on S-Works Turbo and all they did was fix flats. One wised-up and tossed them while the other decided to tough it out to the tune of 4 or so tires and counting. Ugh!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Johnny Rad wrote:I'm a longtime Schwalbe Ultremo / One 23c rider, so I can't make any firsthand comparisons to other brands. I've had excellent luck with Schwalbe tires over the years and continue to do so. I'm currently riding their latest One clincher 23c (not tubeless) w/Challenge latex tubes. When I "upgraded" from Ultremo ZX's to the One, it felt like suspension! The One is a noticeably softer ride. One's may not lead the Crr pack, but they're not bring up the rear AND they treat me right. Guess that makes me a Schwalbe homer! I accept that.

Two riding partners fell for Speci's "buy one, get one free" promo this summer on S-Works Turbo and all they did was fix flats. One wised-up and tossed them while the other decided to tough it out to the tune of 4 or so tires and counting. Ugh!

I'm not surprised about S-Works Turbo as it's a dedicated race tire. Not sure why anyone would train on this tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Turbo Cotton is the race tire.. S-Works Turbo is not. My Turbo Cottons are in the "try next" position and I have a set of S-Works Turbos on my C24's... yes I have had flats with those and more often then other tires I've been riding recently..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package