Fast clincher tires with good ride quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

knukkeltje

by knukkeltje

I've been on S-Works Turbo's the last 2 seasons (approx 10K km/yr) and would say they wear faster than Conti's, but I did not have more punctures.
I have the Turbo Cottons on my TT bike and the only flat I had was when I borrowed a disk wheel with a tube! ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

pdlpsher1 wrote:Of course anyone can ride a time-trial tire on a training ride but that alone doesn't make a time-trial tire a training tire.

But they aren't a time trial tyre. Nowhere in the specialized marketing documents do they specifically call them a time trial tyre. They have been used to success in time trials, but are also used in road races and criteriums.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

F45 wrote:Why recommend Turbo Cotton to replace the 4000? The equivalent is the S works Turbo, and it rides very nice.

Yes, I would agree - they are a good compromise. I got about 3,000 kilometres out of my old set.

I used to swear by Conti 4000s but I found the cornering and road feel a lot (significantly) better on the turbos.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

F45 wrote:Why recommend Turbo Cotton to replace the 4000? The equivalent is the S works Turbo, and it rides very nice.

Id actually call the Turbo Pro the equivalent to the GP4000s. The SWorks tend to be a tad lighter and more supple.
Using Tapatalk

ab01ns

by ab01ns

I really like Veloflex Master 25's. The new Vittoria OPen Corsa G+ is amazing too.
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

Darceking

by Darceking

I have the S-Works Tyres GRIPTON 24mm and have about 1000km on them and are still in very very good condition. On the roads that I ride on, I am normally lucky to get 1000km's out of my tyres. I have used Durano Plus, One's, GP4000, Mich SC PRO.

Also, I race and train on these tyres. By far the fastest and best tyre I have used. They do cost more then other tyres also. They are $79AUD

reknop

by reknop

Continental GP4000SII and Specialized S-Works Turbo are my favorites...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

3Pio

by 3Pio

I Just get back from riding, and today i rode a near mountain, that i had ridden many times.

Seem that the weight difference dont make me problems, because today i had best times ever climbing this.

One of the segments here is long 10.2 km, 7% average, and i climbed today 6 minutes faster then my best before (46 minutes, 49 seconds compared to 52:55 before), so definetly this weight difference is not penalty for my riding.

I can feel smoother and faster rolling, and much better grip compared to my previous Attack/Force (22 in front, 24 rear).

Today im ordering a spare tires, and i have dilemma:

Should i order Continetal 4000 SII (never tried them until now, and they are cheaper then Vittoria). And should i order them in 23 or 25mm size for my Shamal Ultra?

Or to order again Vittoria Corsa G+, and also should i stay with 25 (as the version i ride right now), or to go 23mm.

Im sending a picture how 25mm Corsa G+ look on my Shamals:

Marin

by Marin

The Shamal aero will be really bad with the fat spokes anyway, so go with whichever size you like more.

Vittorias ride much smoother than the GPs.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Marin wrote:The Shamal aero will be really bad with the fat spokes anyway, so go with whichever size you like more.

Vittorias ride much smoother than the GPs.

And what about conering performance between 23 and 25 on Shamals? And does anyone know actual weight difference between 23 and 25 version?

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

schwalbe one are my favourite. much better ride than gp4000, great rolling and last long, also dirt cheap online

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I have had the Schwable ONE mount on some Zipp 404 rims, and then the Michelin Comp, both with latex tubes.

When I mounted the Comps i thought I had a flat tyre when I was cycling out of our estate. Once on the road they didn't feel as soft and flat, but at least 30% smoother than the ONE.

Great tyre, feels faster too, really transformed my riding in terms of comfort.

BUT. The sidewalls are ultra thin, and I have ripped a sidewall twice, maybe just bad luck, as I didn't have any problems with the ONE or Ultremo

Luke

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

GP4000 are great you know what you are getting, never got any flats really
Schwalbe Ones are great as well, feel a lot like the GP4000 in terms of rolling and longevity, but a little softer
Never tried the Michelin Comps, but road the Pro 4 Service Course, love the way they felt, I did read they were a little slow though
I have Corsa's on my race wheels, they are the best in terms of feel but I would NOT ride them everyday!!

alistaird

by alistaird

waltthizzney wrote:schwalbe one are my favourite. much better ride than gp4000, great rolling and last long, also dirt cheap online
+1 for the Ones....

A

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

trying out a pair of the new Pirelli Velo 25mm after riding years on Conti 4000s II.

ride quality is great and grippy on corners. but again, its only been about 100 miles so far. made in France...Hutchinson tire factory i hear. but regardless...i like them so far.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com