Fast clincher tires with good ride quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm thinking about trying something different than gp4000s contis with a better ride quality. I'm want something that's not time trial specific so I don't have to swap it out every month and has similar puncture resistance and grip as the gp4000.

The tires that came up during my search:
Vittoria Corsa G+
Bontrager R4 320
Michelin Power Competition
Schwalbe One V-Guard
Zipp Tangente Speed

I'd consider other high tpi clinchers, but they either not too fast according to the tests (challenge), or have other issues (tight fit - veloflex). BUT I'd welcome any other options I might have missed out.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Why not just use a wider version of the GP4000 and drop the pressure by a few PSI? You would get the benefit of a better ride without sacrificing durability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DiatribeWA

by DiatribeWA

Whatever Tony Martin just used to win the TT World Championship maybe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Specialized Turbo Cotton is a time-trial specific tire. It doesn't have a thick thread and it's prone to punctures.

IMHO the GP4000 has the best overall compromise in a high-mileage tire. All other tires will have something to sacrifice.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Faster... in what context?
Rolling resistant only or also consider their shape profile for aerodynamic advantage?
what PSI will they run on? because each tire react to different pressure differently (Schwalbe Pro one are slower than Michelin Power competition at 120psi but as the pressure drop, Michelin become slower than Schwalbe, and the keep gap enlarging).

i think you can generally rely on test on this site except some notes below:
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews
NOTE1 : Specialized S-works turbo they test is at size 24 which run even smaller than Michelin Power Competition size 23 so it got big disadvantage there compare to other tire tested at size 25, buy 26 if you expect size 25 tire.
NOTE2 : puncture resistant are tested by using a rod shape object penetrate into the tire. it doesn't show scenario where the tire got slice from a sharp object. I found the Michelin power competition's rubber to be quite soft and easy to get cut that way. I found S-works Turbo (non-cotton) handle my road much better than the Michelin Power Competition
NOTE3 : pay attention to tire thickness, when a tire is too thin (like <1.5mm) it'll need replacement so a thicker tire generally will last longer
NOTE4 : no grip data provided, no aero profile provided.
S-works Turbo tire got good tire shape (on 17mm inner rim) so it corner well and good aerodynamic.
i heard that Vittoria got very good grip.(so it naturally can corner well too)

BRM

by BRM

Did you already had a look to the Vredestein Fortezza variants?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

pdlpsher1 wrote:IMHO the GP4000 has the best overall compromise in a high-mileage tire. All other tires will have something to sacrifice.

Yeah, sorry I wasn't specific enough. Let's say I'm ready to sacrifice a little bit of durability, weight and maybe some puncture resistance for a more supple ride feel. BUT I'm would not run something TT specific due to the complete lack of puncture protection.

Hexsense wrote:Faster... in what context?
Rolling resistant only or also consider their shape profile for aerodynamic advantage?
what PSI will they run on? because each tire react to different pressure differently (Schwalbe Pro one are slower than Michelin Power competition at 120psi but as the pressure drop, Michelin become slower than Schwalbe, and the keep gap enlarging).

Fast in the context of rolling resistance. Although I'm not fixated too much on differences between different pressures, so anything in the ballpark of the listed tires can be considered.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

BRM wrote:Did you already had a look to the Vredestein Fortezza variants?

I found very limited information on the rolling resistance of these tires. On the other hand the Senso Superiore seems to be interesting (but a bit heavy).

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Pro 4 comp service course

MikeD

by MikeD

I used Vittoria Open Corsa CX III's and they rode softer than the Continental 4000S II tires I used before. The difference is subtle though. However, I'll stick to the Continentals because I think they are a better tire for less cost; better because they don't fit loose on the rims, are more puncture resistant, and have longer tread life.

Broid

by Broid

Vittoria Corsa G+ :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

pdlpsher1 wrote:The Specialized Turbo Cotton is a time-trial specific tire. It doesn't have a thick thread and it's prone to punctures

It is not a time trial specific tyre.

It does have some flat protection, but the sidewalls do not have the same durability as most vulcanised tyres.

I would potentially consider the condition of the roads you ride and if they're pretty smooth and not littered with glass and other nasties, I would strongly consider the cottons. They are unreal. Nopt exactly sure how fast they are, they just feel amazing!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

^^ This. I race on some pretty horrible roads and have good enough results with Cottons on a course where the local bogans use one of the turnaround points as a burn out pad most nights of the week (swept by course volunteers). They're just a carcass built by Vittoria with Specialized ruber applied. Be mindful of the conditions and debris and they're ok. From there I go to the Sworks turbo for a fully vulcanized clincher or the Turbo pro if conditions mean another layer of protection is waranted if you want to use the BigS. Veloflex Masters in 25mm slip on to my Rovals, Zipps and Curve CC38s with little fuss but I haven't put great deal of KMs on them durability wise, they deffinately feel a little more plush than the Cottons IMO but I did rip one up a bit braking hard with a Whoopsy moment showing just how soft the rubber on them is.. GP400s aren't anywhere near as comfortable but are mostly bomb proof where I live for training :)
Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

corsa speed g+
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Nefarious86 wrote:^^ This. I race on some pretty horrible roads and have good enough results with Cottons on a course where the local bogans use one of the turnaround points as a burn out pad most nights of the week (swept by course volunteers). They're just a carcass built by Vittoria with Specialized ruber applied. Be mindful of the conditions and debris and they're ok. From there I go to the Sworks turbo for a fully vulcanized clincher or the Turbo pro if conditions mean another layer of protection is waranted if you want to use the BigS. Veloflex Masters in 25mm slip on to my Rovals, Zipps and Curve CC38s with little fuss but I haven't put great deal of KMs on them durability wise, they deffinately feel a little more plush than the Cottons IMO but I did rip one up a bit braking hard with a Whoopsy moment showing just how soft the rubber on them is.. GP400s aren't anywhere near as comfortable but are mostly bomb proof where I live for training :)

Thanks for the detailed review! Maybe I will try the turbo cottons and see what happens. Or maybe the veloflex masters..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com