Epoca vs Legend for custom build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gorgaba

by Gorgaba

I am purchasing a new bike and trying to decide what to buy. There isn't much info out there especially on Epoca. Any info would be helpful. I would be deciding between the R50 and R60. I will be visiting the Epoca factory in 3 weeks. My buddy just purchase a legend and it is a beauty and the ordering process was pretty seamless. Currently riding a Wilier Cento Uno Superleggara.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

The Epoca R50 is one of my current favourite all-rounder bikes! I prefer the straight seattube
Having said that, if I was going all-out climber, the R30 is a more traditional setup

Assume, you'll be fitting it up with Campag, yes?
:wink:

micky

by micky

Epoca is a Vicenza based company and I can tell you that you see them very rarely around here.
One my friend used to have one but an older model so I can't be of much help.

By the look of the frames, I would say at least the tubes are sourced by the same company as many others (see Formigli as an example).

Gorgaba

by Gorgaba

ianSWBB wrote:The Epoca R50 is one of my current favourite all-rounder bikes! I prefer the straight seattube
Having said that, if I was going all-out climber, the R30 is a more traditional setup

Assume, you'll be fitting it up with Campag, yes?
:wink:

Thanks for that, yes I feel the same way about the R50, and yes of course you can't buy an Italian bespoke bike and not put Campy on it! Record ESP...

Gorgaba

by Gorgaba

micky wrote:Epoca is a Vicenza based company and I can tell you that you see them very rarely around here.

By the look of the frames, I would say at least the tubes are sourced by the same company as many others (see Formigli as an example).

Yes they are made in Rosa. I will be in the area so am going to stop by and see. Thank you.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

Do you know how much cost a frame set?
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

R30 is 3,750 euros
R50 is 4,150 euros
R60 is 4,600 euros

price includes custom geometry, custom colour and an english thread bb ;)

as an extra, there is also the option for a Deda Superleggero colour matching bars and stem pack!

atakaoka

by atakaoka

Thanks, it's a bit pricy but still cheaper than I thought.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Gorgaba

by Gorgaba

Gorgaba wrote:
micky wrote:Epoca is a Vicenza based company and I can tell you that you see them very rarely around here.

Yes they are made in Rosa. I will be in the area so am going to stop by and see. Thank you.

So is this a negative that they use other companies tubing? Is this type of carbon the same quality and weight as the bigger brands? I really like the idea of customization but not at the expense of lesser quality frame material.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

For the Epoca, the tubes are made once an order is placed - then mitred and joined together, before being carbon wrapped and heat treated

Using this tube to tube construction method allows them to alter the geometry with ease to fit each customer

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

That is exactly the method Legend use too. I am sponsored by them and several of my teammates have visited the factory.

Gorgaba

by Gorgaba

ianSWBB wrote:For the Epoca, the tubes are made once an order is placed - then mitred and joined together, before being carbon wrapped and heat treated

Using this tube to tube construction method allows them to alter the geometry with ease to fit each customer

OK Thanks for the info...

Gorgaba

by Gorgaba

Mockenrue wrote:That is exactly the method Legend use too. I am sponsored by them and several of my teammates have visited the factory.

Thanks!

Gorgaba

by Gorgaba

So I went to visit the Epoca factory in Rosa, outside of Veneto. Met their director of sales Ali and frame builder Valentino. They were great. Sat down and told me their story including different manufacturers they had done some building for... The factory was small to say the least. They are making completely custom bikes in 4 different models R30 (light, climber, traditional) R50 (more like an endurance build) R60 (Aero build) and RS99 which is their GC bike that they have built for some teams. They have their carbon tubes made and then they fit to size which was a pretty cool process. They also have their own paint shop..
I had the opportunity to take out Ali's RS99 for a quick ride. I currently ride a Wilier Cento Uno SL. I was really surprised and how much more compliant it was over a bumpy road. He had carbon tubulars on it and I am used to carbon Clinchers so that would explain part of it but it was significantly better riding. BB seemed very stiff on acceleration and the bike felt very nimble. My only regret is I didn't have time to get up to Mont Grappa to test the climbing aspect. The Bike had Miche components. The breaks were fantastic (and looked beautiful) The shifting seemed not as nice as my old dura ace.

All and all it was a great experience and I think I am going to order an RS99 with new DI9150 but with the MICHE brakes, Deda bar/stem seat post, Just trying to decide on wheels. Thinking Vittoria, EDCO or Mavic carbon clinchers in the 35 to 45mm region. Will update as I go through the process. any comments would be great re my build....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

how are you getting on with the build?