New bike giant defy advanced or bmc roadmachine

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sahmad

by sahmad

Hi forum
I am after some real world thoughts and weights on the following 2 bikes

A- 2017 Giant Defy advanced sl1
B- 2017 Bmc roadmachine 01 ultegra

Both are evenly specced with similar group sets but I would like to know weights and any individual reviews.

Thankyou

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

The Giant will be significantly lighter. The wheels alone will be ~200g lighter (carbon vs alloy)

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Take a look at geometry of these bikes. You are comparing apples and oranges. Defy is true endurance bike with longer chainstay, longer wheelbase and taller headtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TonyM

by TonyM

The BMC Roadmachine has indeed a very different geometry - quite like a race bike actually.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Don't forget on the BMC RM01, you can adjust the stack depending on your top cap configuration. Another great option to check out is the Focus Paralane. It has a great geometry, fairly light and tire clearance up to 35mm. I've been riding one for a few months now and absolutely love it, especially compared to the RM01. The bike is quite lively and a blast to ride.

http://road.cc/content/review/218220-fo ... ne-ultegra

TonyM

by TonyM

bearsdidit wrote:Don't forget on the BMC RM01, you can adjust the stack depending on your top cap configuration. Another great option to check out is the Focus Paralane. It has a great geometry, fairly light and tire clearance up to 35mm. I've been riding one for a few months now and absolutely love it, especially compared to the RM01. The bike is quite lively and a blast to ride.

http://road.cc/content/review/218220-fo ... ne-ultegra

Adjustment of the stack/ reach via the cap is available on the Roadmachine01 and Roadmachine02.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Roadmachine
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

I've sold a ton of RM01/RM02s and I think it's a great bike but IMO, it feels muted. The bike lacks the typical BMC handling and agility but it checks off a ton of boxes in other aspects.

TonyM

by TonyM

bearsdidit wrote:I've sold a ton of RM01/RM02s and I think it's a great bike but IMO, it feels muted. The bike lacks the typical BMC handling and agility but it checks off a ton of boxes in other aspects.

Nice to have your opinion on the handling! :thumbup:
All reviews say they handle great but they are only "reviews" (sometimes sponsored from the manufacturer)

I have some more question as I am about to buy a RM02 (for my rain/ winter bike).

- The RM01 and RM02 have different frames but do they "feel" really different?

- I am sure that the RM01/RM02 are much different that the Teammachine SLR rim version in terms of handling/ agility but do they really differ that much compared to the Teammachine SLR in the disc version?
Last edited by TonyM on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

The RM01 is definitely lighter and feels a bit snappier. However, the RM02 is a great option for a winter bike. Personally, I prefer the traditional stem configuration of the RM02 over the 01. I haven't had a chance to ride the new SLR01 Disc yet but compared to the previous model, there is a HUGE difference between the RM series VS SLR01. IMO, the SLR is such a versatile, race style bicycle. The frame is light, stiff, lively, handles great and is supremely comfortable. I've ridden pretty much every high-end bike available and I always go back to my SLR01. In fact, I loved the geometry so much, I had a custom Mosaic built off the geometry of a 54CM SLR01.

Either way, enjoy your new bike.

TonyM

by TonyM

bearsdidit wrote:The RM01 is definitely lighter and feels a bit snappier. However, the RM02 is a great option for a winter bike. Personally, I prefer the traditional stem configuration of the RM02 over the 01. I haven't had a chance to ride the new SLR01 Disc yet but compared to the previous model, there is a HUGE difference between the RM series VS SLR01. IMO, the SLR is such a versatile, race style bicycle. The frame is light, stiff, lively, handles great and is supremely comfortable. I've ridden pretty much every high-end bike available and I always go back to my SLR01. In fact, I loved the geometry so much, I had a custom Mosaic built off the geometry of a 54CM SLR01.

Either way, enjoy your new bike.

Thanks for the feedback!

Would you personally prefer a Teammachine SLR with Disc and clip-on fenders (like the SKS clip-on Raceblades) or a Roadmachine with Disc and the integrated bmc fenders as a rain bike?

saba

by saba

BMC RoadMachine.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Definitely the SLR01. Have a great riding bike with clip ons > average riding bike with dedicated fenders. If possible, definitely check out the Paralane. In theory, that could check off every box for you.

TonyM

by TonyM

bearsdidit wrote:Definitely the SLR01. Have a great riding bike with clip ons > average riding bike with dedicated fenders. If possible, definitely check out the Paralane. In theory, that could check off every box for you.

Ok! I was about to order the Roadmachine but I will think again.

The paralane has unfortunately an endurance geometry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

TonyM wrote:
bearsdidit wrote:Definitely the SLR01. Have a great riding bike with clip ons > average riding bike with dedicated fenders. If possible, definitely check out the Paralane. In theory, that could check off every box for you.

Ok! I was about to order the Roadmachine but I will think again.

The paralane has unfortunately an endurance geometry.

Definitely, ride both bikes before pulling the trigger.