Problem with Shimano S-Phyre road shoes, loose cleat nut

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I see them as spinning because their edge is in line with a less reinforced cross section of the sole. That could occur if they pull down too far.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Cprocner

by Cprocner

kkibbler wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:45 pm
Update: Actually I got a replacement pair of the same shoes from Shimano through my LBS some weeks ago (credit to them), but I haven't messed with them because a) I haven't come up with a good way to make sure the nut problem doesn't return, and b) I haven't been riding much recently anyway.
cprocner wrote:Have your LBS install the cleats. If there are any problems it's theirs not yours.
Mr.Gib wrote:You can bet there are some very angry conversations going on right now between Shimano and whoever makes those shoes.
I would hope so, but you think? Either these shoes are still too new or I was unlucky, but this thread is the top hit for "S-Phyre problem" on Google. These shoes have started showing up on my fashion-forward IG feeds so they're out there.
maxxevv wrote:For your current predicament, if you have a access to, get a 0.5mm strip of aluminium, brass or stainless steel. Trim it to the correct length and place it on either side of the square cleat nuts. Glue them in place with epoxy. It will fix your problem.
If you can't get the material, cut open a can of soft drink or beer. Fold a piece till its about 0.5mm thick and trim to length and likewise epoxy it in place.

It should solve your problem with the nuts.
I've considered that. I've also considered epoxying the original nut to a bigger alloy plate that fills the length and width of the carbon recess. The recess is roughly about 25x15mm. The ideal solution would be a much longer nut (called T-nut, apparently), twice as thick as the original, with a shouldered M5 thread in the middle, but I have not been able to find such a specimen.

These are the closest I have found online but they're not much longer than the existing Shimano nuts.

Nonetheless, for how much these shoes cost, I should not be dealing with this nonsense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com