Removing external cable routing from carbon frames (Parlee)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grover

by grover

Just after a bit of advice from those more in the know or with prior experience.

I have a Parlee Z5sl. It has external cable routing. I love it. Can't see any reason to move on. However I'm moving into the present and getting eTap. I'm also a little bored of the paint. So my thought is to remove the external cable routing (gears only) and get it repainted.

Repainting is easy. There's a local guy who is approved to paint for Parlee and his work is phenomenal.

However removing the cable routing is another question. Has anyone done something similar?

I'm thinking
- dremel cutting wheel to take the bulk off
- file to get it close to the contour of the frame tube
- fine sandpaper to make the transition smooth like it was never there.
It doesn't matter if I damage the surrounding paint a little to ensure I get a nice smooth finish as it'll be repainted.

I'm also considering doing my own internal brake cable routing through the top tube. Not hard to drill a couple of little holes and run full outer cable through. But is anyone aware of any generic rubber frame plugs that would make it look neat?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Removing the cable stops isnt an issue. I'm assumed they are bonded on correct? Some pictures and I could confirm. I would not drill holes in the top tube. It would probably be fine but special care needs to be taken with the tools used to drill and the area around the hole should be reinforced. Also anytime you drill a hole you are compromising the structure.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Adding to what Kev said this is also WW, full length outers are heavy [emoji14]
Using Tapatalk

grover

by grover

Haha, yeah. Drilling for internal brakes I'd never really convinced myself of. I'll stay away from that. Running full outer it wouldn't have the compresive force from braking needing to be resisted by the tube, alas, compromising the structure is bad.

This is what my frame currently looks like. You can see the gear routing bosses in the slideshow.
http://www.sungraphics.com.au/custom-de ... parlee-z5/

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Yep just bonded on carbon pieces. Those could be removed with no issue. You would want to grind and sand them away don't try to pry them off you will damage the tube.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.