Removing Sram Red BB30 self extracting collar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Hey guys I want to remove the self extracting bolt on a sram red 22 bb3 crank, it is green loctited into position. Anyone done this efore. Acetone does nothing. Worried about heating it and damaging the CF, ideas?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Presumably, it is reverse threaded.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Presumably. The arrow is clockwise but i have been predominantly trying to turn clockwise to loosen. Not budging. I have tried anticlockwise not budging.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sungod

by sungod

surprised it has loctite, my old sram bb30 certainly has no loctite, forgive the question, but are you really really sure you are trying to undo the correct bit?

have you tried with the bike held on the ground upright and in highest gear, then put a piece of pipe on the end of the key so you can use foot pressure to try and free it?

this thread may help...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13060276

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Me thinks geezer wants to remove extractor unit and is using a two-pin tool.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Valbrona is correct. I want to remove the reverse threaded extractor bolt cap with a pin wrench and it has visible green loctite around the threads.

sungod

by sungod

ahhhh, i see now

there's more than one green loctite threadlocker (and other brands too), could be it's the high strength one, same colour can be different strength

loctite says it's dimethacrylate ester, according to the data sheets acetone won't do much to it, nor alcohol, oil etc., there might be some more exotic solvents that'd work, but you also need to be something that won't affect the clearcoat, cf resin etc.

250 celsius is the quoted temperature for releasing it, but the rest of the crank probably won't like that! even 100 would reduce strength a bit, maybe pour boiling water through the hole would weaken it enough to shift?

sp3000

by sp3000

How did you go? The problem with mine is I returned from a ride and it had fallen out! Waiting on the part to arrive and then planning to loctite it in.. Any recommendations on the exact loctite to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I was in the process of carefully cutting it out. Evenually the heat from it broke the loctites bond and allowed it to de-thread

sp3000

by sp3000

crazy, why can't everything just be like a shimano crank!! 2x5mm hex bolts at low torque and a hand done preload and you're set!

I think the correct loctite is 290

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com