Lightest (useable) saddle in the world

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

Can you explain why that is a good theory?
Why are you impressed with these few basic words while the whole world of saddle manufacturers have an opposite theory?

corky

by corky

Not sure why I should feed your need to harass this poster/thread/manufacturer but......

It is a theory that no one else has proffered so given that everyone else has failed to produce something that works for all, it is worth trying something new......since without experimentation then advances will not be made.

I'm sure you will have something negative to respond with, but it is my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Looking at the explanation and diagram, doesn't it mean that

a) the shape is dependent on the sitbone width, since a wider width results in a larger angle
b) placing the weight on the rami only, excluding the sitbone, assumes a more aggressive riding position
c) this more aggressive position doesn't account for upright on-the-tops riding, such as while climbing, on recovery rides.
d) since the manufacturer is aware of the need for the shell to flex, instead of removing support needed for climbing, shouldn't he make the edges more flexible instead?

Since the shape is dependent on sitbone width, instead of the usual 'just buy and try more', shouldn't the manufacturer suggest that people at least determine what their sitbone width is, map that width to a particular angle (in effect, saddle width), and pick that saddle?

It looks like this is a TT saddle, no?

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

antonioiglesius wrote:Looking at the explanation and diagram, doesn't it mean that

a) the shape is dependent on the sitbone width, since a wider width results in a larger angle

Since the shape is dependent on sitbone width, instead of the usual 'just buy and try more', shouldn't the manufacturer suggest that people at least determine what their sitbone width is, map that width to a particular angle (in effect, saddle width), and pick that saddle?

From what I have read, a given sitbone width does not directly correlate to a given angle, so making an angle assumption based on the sitbone width will lack precision, and direct measurement of this angle is difficult without an X-ray. I believe other saddle companies are kind of playing fast and loose with the facts with all of this saddle sizing based on sit bone width psudoscience.

Still, to your point, there may be a close enough correlation to offer some very rough guidance, although I think it would need some further study to be sure. It would be worth exploring though, as they have 4 shell shapes, and little guidance to pick between them, so if they could get to a point of narrowing it down to 2 shells, based on a sitbone measurement and rough estimate of corresponding angles, that would still be an improvement.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Gelu G1 saddle and seatpost received.

63g and 127g (360mm uncut, so hoping to go below 100g).

Teaser video here ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBDmUOIBzdw

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Gelu seatpost - very similar design to the other light posts out there; a rail cradle that has two overhead clamps that pull down. 127g for 360mm. The semi-circular alu part of mine does not sit perfectly in the semi-circle cut out of the post, so I had to very slightly file down the proud edges of the post. Fine now, but a bit disappointing for a post this expensive.
Has a little bit more flex than my old Use Alien, which is to be expected as it is thinner walled (the Di2 battery was a tight fit in the USE, but I had to pad it out for the Gelu).
Torqued it to about 2Nm for 1st ride and came loose so went up to 3Nm (Max is 5) and it's fine.
As for the saddle - very nicely made, a quality item, but stiffer in the shell than my AX and also a touch smaller and more angular.
1st ride was surprisingly comfortable, better than I was expecting, but not quite as good as the AX....yet. Have adjusted it a bit - tilted forward a touch, and will ride it some more.
Vid;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e5Y_bVA7T8

damond

by damond

i know Anghel myself and he is an extremely passionate person regard his carbon stuff!

Actually his saddles are very popular here in Portugal, and pretty much everyone seems to be happy with them. I haven't tried one myself ye, although i have a few friends who ride his saddles!
I am sure that slightly imperfection of your seatpost is something Anghel haven't noticed before shipping, you should have contacted him, i believe he would have sent you another post!