Designing frame thoughts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Good day, I am going to get a custom order frame set made up over the winter. Wanted to get some direction as how to go about the frame geometry. I want a road bike relaxed a bit, so do I just use some geometry charts from different, bikes I like? Any help thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Base it off your current bike, adjust as necessary.

Broady

by Broady

Get a comprehensive bike fit from someone reputable.

I visited my framebuilder when I went custom and we went to his local fitting shop.

Kurets

by Kurets

Why go custom if you don't know what you want?

Sent from mTalk

ergott

by ergott

The frame builder is the expert you should be discussing this with. If the frame builder isn't, you're getting a bike from the wrong person.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Let me put it another way, I am getting a frame built from Italy. There are no geometry charts etc. so I have hade my bike fit, but this is a classic road bike build. The bike I'm on now is more relaxed geometry it looks like I look at frame sizing charts and go from there thanks

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Custom is great if you know exactly what you want, if you don't it can be an absolute minefield.

If you don't, and are still determined to go down that road, that's where your frame builder can really earn their money - by managing to figure out exactly what it is you want. E.g. how you want the bike to handle, required stiffness levels, the fit - whether that's taken from your current bike and adjusted or a new bike fit with someone they recommend etc. Speak to the builder and they should at least be able to give you some ideas to get the ball rolling - if they can't, find a different builder.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

When you say you're going to have a classic road bike built, are you talking about more traditional road geometry than your current bike (and with it, a different fit), or do you mean the style (e.g. steel, panel paint, etc.)?

maquisard

by maquisard

I know someone who ended up with a *f##k* of a Se7en due to an inept fitter. Se7en fabricated the frame beautifully as they always do, shame it didn't fit the new owner. It also had virtually zero resale value as I don't think it would fit anyone else!

As others have said, don't go custom unless you are 100% sure you know why you need to. If there is no stock geometry from the frame maker and you want something more relaxed then I would download a Colnago catalogue and look at their geometries.

ergott

by ergott

Find an old Lemond catalogue for ideas on slack geo.

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Hi, yes I have been in touch with builder, and process looks to be smoother, than first thought. Thanks;

BRM

by BRM

53cxzero wrote: I want a road bike relaxed a bit, ......

That is a too wide definition.
Relaxed what?:

More upright?
Shorter toptube?
Higher headtube?
Less aggressive handling?
More comfort?
More damping?
Forks that fit wider tires?

Find an existing bike with the right geo.
Why go for custom anyway when you don't know what you exactly want.

kgt

by kgt

@53cxzero
If you are not sure what exactly you want just reproduce the geometry of a Colnago C60 at your exact size. It will work for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com