New bike advice/recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

The time has come to replace my Merdia Ride 93, my first road bike nearly 3 years ago, I have made many changes, wheels, groupset, finishing kit, slammed stem to get me lower on the bike as this is a relaxed geo.

So, here is where I would like your input/advice!

I do like the aero framed bike, so far I have been looking at the:

BMC TM01 (can't find any in the UK)
Cervelo S5
Lapierre Xeluis SL Ultimate
S Works Tarmac
LOOK 695 Aerolight

I would like something slightly different, either frameset or complete bike, but mainly looking for some ideas and opinions on the ride feel.

Thanks
Luke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

I can only speak for Cervelo S5.

I put 38,000km on mine in 2.5 years [I had other bikes to ride too ;)]

Not sure what kind of riding you do. Anyways. Did rides of over 400km in length on it. Fast bike. Can be comfortable if you like that slammed aggressive positioning. I came from TT so I was used to it and liked it.

Only now that I have built a new bike - I realize that the S5 frame was Rigid as hell. Transmitted every bump and vibration. My most often wheel set was Zipp 303 clincher at 90/100psi. (I weigh 140lbs after a full breakfast). BBright is a huge pain in the ass compared to other bottom bracket standards. If you contact Cervelo they will tell you that they will only speak to Cervelo dealers, so take your issues to a shop (maybe this is norm for all bike companies).

But - it inspired me to ride. It was my first aero road bike. I love the design, think they are sexy in black and I have no regrets except that dealing with Cervelo really stuck it in my mind that I'd never buy another product from them. Oh, and BBright. Have to mention that again. Never will I buy a bike that uses that.

If you race - excellent bike. I even had aero extensions on mine at times for TT training. Good stuff.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thanks, I do like the S5, but I went to a Cevelo dealers, but I wasn't to sure on seeing the 2016 version.

My riding in my local area is flat and can be rolling. Mostly ride in a group of 2, and weekend club rides.

Thanks for the input on the S5, So yours is the "older" frame then?

Luke

moonoi

by moonoi

If you're looking at aero bikes, why the Tarmac instead of Venge in your list?

I also had an S5, wouldn't have another Cervelo again for the same reasons as McGilli. The only difference is I didn't find it to be that stiff, it was rather comfy, but then at that time I weighed in at 260lbs, so may have had something to do with it. Also you have to choose tyres carefully as the clearance is very tight, although not sure if this has been resolved with the latest model, couldn't run anything wider than 23mm on it and even then it's so tight you can get stones wedged up between the frame and tyre. After saying all that, don't have any regrets buying it, it was a fun bike to ride and my first "premium" road bike.

From your list I'd choose the Tarmac though, it's a great allrounder, but you should try to get out and ride each one first if you can, as they'll all feel very different.

Also not sure how common they are where you are, but the Canyon Aeroad should be one to consider as well, here that would be classed as very unusual ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGilli

by McGilli

PLuKE wrote:Thanks for the input on the S5, So yours is the "older" frame then?

Luke

I had a 2014. So it could not take 25mm tires. Even with 23mm - the clearance of the rear wheel well was way too shallow - over time there was a 'channel' dug into the rear wheel well as pebbles or small rocks that would stick to the rubber as riding and would get sucked through there and scratch right through the paint and groove the carbon. It sounded like electronic shifting every time that happened 'zzzzzzip'. Another weird design 'flaw' I'd say is that if you mounted a water bottle on the seat tube - even in the most upward position (if your bottle cage has different height settings) - the water bottle would rest on the down tube. So, over time - again - with all the vibration the water bottles wore through the paint and created a divot in the surface. I had it covered with tape after a while but still...

Anyways - just my observations having ridden one quite a bit. You've mentioned some other great looking bikes so i"m sure others will chime in soon, good luck!

HA - looks like I posted at the same time as Moonoi above me and we said the same thing about the tires.. too funny...

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Thanks.

I am unsure on an aero frame or not.

If I was to go with a non aero frame, I think I would go for the S Works Tarmac, with a DA groupset.

Or an S5/Reacto or any other recommendations?

Are there any real word benefits over an aero frame compared to non?

Luke

jefftillack

by jefftillack

I recently went from a TCR (a quick bike) to one of the new Lapierre Pulsiums. I looked at the the Propel, TMR01 etc but decided since I'm getting older I wanted a more relaxed geometry without the tall headtube of several other "cobbles" bikes, and without the super stiff ride. The Pulsium is fast, super comfy and handles well (I have a set of carbones on it and it looks great). Why not try a few different styles to see what works best. Then again, depends on your needs I guess.

moonoi

by moonoi

Well I don't think you'd be disappointed with the S Works Tarmac, as I said before it is the best all rounder from your selection, but you should try and test ride each before making a decision if you can.

Best way to choose if you can't test ride is to look at it. If it makes you want to throw your leg over and get out there, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I had a Tarmac, replaced it with a Cannondale EVO.
Much nicer ride, the Tarmac was stiff as hell and ugly looking.
The EVO is not really an aero bike but is supposed to be not bad as far that is concerned.
I think of "Aero" bikes as a fad and don't really make much difference in everyday riding, maybe you shave a few seconds off your ride, so what?

stormur

by stormur

Just avoid "integrated" brakes. Regardless some opinions "mine works fine" ( your choice to trust this BS or not ;) ) they are PITA : much more hassle in setup/ maintenance / wheel change with additional bonus of poorer performance ( in comparison to "normal" road brakes.

From my experience : less unique solutions - easier life. More "fancy" frame : more troubles it cause ( components compatibility, proprietary solutions ).
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com