25mm tubulars.....stopped in my tracks.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

LionelB wrote:Zero issue with Roubaix 25mm and LW here.

Only real issue would be if you needed that extra 1-2mm of clearance, which for me was the difference between running 25's completely issue free, or dealing with the constant sound of road debris squeezing through the fork. So, same 25mm tires on the new Boras, versus the old, made all the difference in the world for the clearance issues alone, not to mention the overall feel and fit of the 25's on the new wider Boras. And even with the old Boras and 25's it was borderline as to having to "squeeze" the tire past the brake pads upon release. I suspect that would be even more prevalent on Lightweights since I found I could run the brake pads even closer to the rim on Lightweights than with Boras without any brake rub.
With the new Boras and 25's, they are so close to the rim width that I don't even have to flip the caliper release to drop the wheel out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Or do what have done to one bike take a file to the fork crown a remove material just enough to have 1mm of clearance so i can use a 25mm pave.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ouch, one millimeter of carbon fiber removal from the fork crown does not sound like a great idea to me. That's quite a lot in carbon fiber speak. Having seen the cross section of some broken tubes, it's amazing to me how strong carbon fiber is given how thin some of the tube walls can be made. If you really need it, then possibly use those little axle spacers that fit in between your fork dropouts and the axle. But either of these methods are really starting to mess with the original bike design.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Wookski

by Wookski

25mm tubs on a meilenstein are a bad idea and aesthetically horrible. The widest tyre I run on LW's are Veloflex Carbons. Have used Competitions- garden hose probably provides better ride quality!

Steve_W

by Steve_W

What a week, finally a 25mm tyre with a low profile to fit my fork.
Step forward.....veloflex 25mm Arenbergs.