Bars and stem for a Colnago C40

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Since moving to my C60 my C40 has been gathering dust in my room as an ornament and have decided to build it over winter. I already have a build in mind for it but was wondering on some opinions for in period bar and stem combo. I'd love some cinelli intergratler bars but they seem to be non existent but I can get my hands on a cinelli alter stem.
What combination would you guys say is best for a modern/retro C40 build?

kgt

by kgt

Anything italian really... ITM, Deda, Cinelli. Usually older Colnagos had ITM stems and bars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

What period? The C40 was around for 10 years officially and I bought NOS frames three or four years ago. My first C40 in 1995 had a silver ITM stem with the weird bends (did they call them ergonomic?). By the time I sold that bike in 2005, it had more modern "compact" bars that had been available by that time but still in the 26mm diameter. My other Colnagos from the 90s all had ITM quill stems and ITM bars, both in silver. If you have a C40HP, it probably dates from after the C50 came out so most of today's parts could still be period correct. [I suspect the C40HP is like the EPQ - Ernesto had a bunch of C40 front ends but no rear ends so built the last of the inventory with C50 rear triangles.]

My C40s today have either 31.8mm FSA carbon compact bars or 31.8mm Deda compact bars. Initially, I liked the FSAs but now prefer the Deda. Both are sort of Italian (Italian company with parts made in the far east) if you think it's important to stick with that.

Does your C40 still need a quill stem? That will have a big impact on your options. If it does have a quill stem, I'd be inclined to go with a period correct ITM or perhaps a Cinelli if you can't find an ITM. However, if you're putting a modern group on an early frame (and why would you want 8 speed today if you plan to ride the bike a lot?), I'd go with a modern bar and stem combo in a bend that you like.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

My C40 is a mk2 with the slightly flared downtube into the BB lug but with the pre b stay rear triangle. I would post a picture but I've borrowed the frame to a friend recently as he is competing in hill climbs but needed a light frame after a crash wiped out his S5....

TomColnago

by TomColnago

https://flic.kr/p/MSpWU4
Update on the C40, you can see the colour way of the frame. TRADITIONALISTS DON'T LOOK my friend has turned it into a hill climb special and it won't please you. He says it is 7kg

liam7020

by liam7020

I stand to be corrected but that looks like AD10 just before the B-Stay model was introduced so probably around late 2000? That's a piece of cycling history right there - you need to quickly retrieve it from your hill climbing friend and cherish it with the love and care it deserves! You'll want a Colnago badged ITM stem and ITM Millenium bars for the period look.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

TomColnago

by TomColnago

That's the plan he was just stuck for a good bike. It's going to be a silver potenza groupset, rotor cranks (sorry but I like them :lol: ) and some retro bars with a brooks cambium c13 to top it off. Half going for a cinelli alter stem or a wr compisiti stem with the colnago badge on :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com