Anyone have both an endurance bike and a traditional race bike that they use regularly?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

BRM wrote:blah blah blah...
An endurance bike should be bought with good reasons.

Red is nice, if they have it, or blue maybe. But not yellow. Yellow makes me sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Shrike wrote:Thanks McGilli, really helpful actually that. One question though - do you ever KOM chase and wish you had the S5 for it?

A bike just to KOM chase? I still laugh every time I hear this.. Either get stronger on the bike you use regularly or go full aerotard and buy a TT bike for the Kudos haha.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jjones

by jjones

I suggest you consider a cross bike for your endurance bike. I personally have the same fit on all my bikes, or darn close, so the decision which bike to ride depends on where I'm going and what the roads are going to be like. I run conti 23s, 25s and 28s on different bikes - a cross bike with conti 28s on wide rims is great on the crappy new england roads. If the weather is really crappy, an aluminum cross bike is a great choice as well. So, in short, I do rotate between bikes on a regular basis and I do like having bikes that will run wide tires and a lot of clearance, whether regular road or endurance. I do not find much difference when I ride a cross bike hard in a group ride although it just isn't the same as my primary race bike - could be gearing, could just be the feeling of familiarity since I have been on the road bike for several years and ride it a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to ride any of my bikes on a century and the pick would be based on the course - horses for courses you know.

Shrike

by Shrike

Nefarious86 wrote:
Shrike wrote:Thanks McGilli, really helpful actually that. One question though - do you ever KOM chase and wish you had the S5 for it?

A bike just to KOM chase? I still laugh every time I hear this.. Either get stronger on the bike you use regularly or go full aerotard and buy a TT bike for the Kudos haha.

Both, surely 8)

Good point though. S5 with clip on bars might be the trick. Really just want an excuse to buy an S5 some day. Looks class.

@McGilli - would love to hear what you'd recommend for chasing KOMs, but maybe that'd open up a whole can of worms!

@jjones - yep, if I get used to this trad bike then selling on the endurance bike for a cross frame is probably the best move. Much more versatile.

BRM

by BRM

Shrike wrote:
@jjones - yep, if I get used to this trad bike then selling on the endurance bike for a cross frame is probably the best move. Much more versatile.

This and the fact you slammed the stem tells, you have chosen for an endurance bike for the wrong reasons I think.
The format doesn't match your body geo, expectations and purpose.
Just a step further to what suits you and what not. :wink:
I expect you easily find a seller for the Infinito.

(Pssst, paint it red then Calnago will buy it from you, he only does care about colors he told me . . . :) :wink: )

McGilli

by McGilli

Nefarious86 wrote:

Oh man....

So, as I come from TT and have a TT bike a fellow who is one of the hugest KOM chasers in my surrounding area (He has 10 pages which is pretty good for around here) started asking me about getting a TT bike strictly for KOM chasing. This is two weeks ago.

He rides 95% in a downtown city. He sometimes starts at 3am - this way he can blow through stop lights and intersections and get KOM's easier. I know, I know - don't get me started. Trust me I don't encourage this guy. He's not very popular among 'let's ride safely' cyclists.

Ok, since I do mostly riding on long outside roads, or highways where stop lights are few and far between - I figured he was talking about getting a TT for this kind of segment. The other day he brought it up again, how much faster will he go etc etc - and disc wheels etc. But - something was off - and I could tell he was actually talking about using a TT bike for in the city.

I told him, don't do it. Riding on the aero extensions in the city, any city - especially chasing segments will get you killed. His reply?

No, no, he's going to remove the aero extensions from the bike and it will only have bullhorns.

I was like WTF are you talking about? You're going to buy a TT bike - basically remove what makes it TT - and... Ugh. I just told him to ride on his drops - and there - that's what it will be like since he already is riding an aero road bike.

Yes - so as stated - be careful when thinking about chasing KOMs. Don't get caught up too much about the bike, and just make sure your engine is 100% and you will claim what is rightfully yours on your normal bike :)

AJS914

by AJS914

3am to chase strava segments? Wow! I chase them for my own fun but not when they aren't safe. I got two KOMs on only 2000 miles a year of training. One KOM took me six months of shaving my time down second by second. It was a fun exercise.

stk57

by stk57

@BRM: What I understand is that you don't understand that I understood what you meant by average LBS. So you're saying that after looking at all the bike pictures on the Internets (or at least a representative sample of 10.000+ of your choice) you can decide which come from LBS just by looking at the picture (or asking every one of them if they went online and tuned it to suffer or had it by their LBS) are representatives of the LBS competence ? Got it ? You saw a black cat, all cats are black. Thanks for the tip.

I went to the forums you mentioned and yes, they all marked your words about their fitting disasters: They immediately posted pictures of their legs, busts and arms as a justification to their silly frame size choices and stem/saddle positions. Because we all need to justify ourselves except the mighty BRM, that is kind enough to watch after us, the ignorant crowd. Please let them have a surgery as soon as possible in order to get an "average" fit from their average LBS, at least one that doesn't make your eyes bleed.

Since when a bike enthusiast needs good reasons to buy a bike ? The sine qua non condition is BRM green light, isn't it ?

evan326 wrote:I got my fit done at a shop with a specialized certified fitter. He at least knew a lot more than I did. I learned enough to give myself at least a baseline fit now on the next bike I get.
Right. My LBS has my measurements and one thing he taught me about frame size is that also (i.e. apart from your body) depends on the geometry. I was sure a 52cm Allez Sprint was fine for me for many reasons (Specialized charts, 2 previous road bikes I still own and measured, ...) but put me on a 54cm because he knew the kind of ride the frame should deliver looking at the Specialized photoshopped pix in a preview 2017 catalogue (he didn't have the bike in July) and two previous road bikes (my 3 MTBs obviously didn't not help if you were asking yourself if they could serve as reference). So be precautious, and I guess you are looking at your interrogations, if switching from a geometry to another. The rest (stem, drop, reach, seat) is always needed but impossible to adjust on a frame that's too small or big at the start. Someone may had weird ways and habits to sit and ride and they can endure smaller frame, very strange saddle angle we cannot unsee.

But my LBS and I might be all wrong ... They just got my money, it was a trap :

evan326 wrote:I got my fit done at a shop with a specialized certified fitter. He at least knew a lot more than I did. I learned enough to give myself at least a baseline fit now on the next bike I get.

<BRM mode on>
Seriously ?! BRM had a poor fit one day from a Trek dealer in Alaska. Since he became a Specialized fitter and is certainly the same person. Hmm, by just sniffing from his fingers, BRM knows he's the same. Are you new at the sport ? New at life ? Pfff, you know nothing. And even if your LBS knows 10.000x more, simple maths, nothing by one thousands makes ... yes, nothing at all. It's 2016, wake up, Specialized certification stickers can be found on the streets or Aliexpress, you fool ! You went to a pop-up LBS for so many years !!! Everything you'll find here or at your LBS is a lie... unless BRM put a seal on it, during his naps, away from keyboard.
<BRM-mode off>

<BRM-slave mode on>
By the gospels of BRM, if I were you, for any matters, bike, hot-air balloon or sauna related, I'd surely ask for its approbation. WW members feedback or experience can't match and consequently won't help. It's just non-sense compared to his single past on the saddle, on earth, on what-was-before-earth-was. He can surely read your mind better than us, better than yourself. Even, before submission of your next post. Watch out, he's the alpha and omega !
<BRM-slave mode on> :smartass:

evan326

by evan326

Haha
Thanks