When to use the paste?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slimtim

by Slimtim

Hello

I am about to collect a new frame. In the period between agreeing to buy it and collection, I have been running through the parts list and checking that I have all the bits and bobs I need to put it together.

The build will be new territory for me as it is my first all carbon fibre frameset - previously I have ridden Ti and steel frames with carbon seatposts and forks.

As the frameset is in the 'very light' category (I'll share pix when it is built) I want to make sure that I get it right first time and it seems like carbon paste will be an important ally.

I know that I need to apply it to the seatpost but please can you tell me if I need it in these areas:
- where the integrated headset bearings meet the carbon faring/seating (faring may not be the right word, what I mean is the place formed in the headtube where the bearing race will sit)
- where the carbon fibre front mech band clamps to the carbon frame
- do it have any relevance to the installation of a Praxis PF30 Campagnolo adapter where the adapter facings will meet carbon
- where the headtube expander plug sits in the steerer tube

If I've missed any considerations ref the paste (or you have any other helpful suggestions about my approach to a build of an extremely carbon frameset) I'd be grateful.

Also, on a separate topic, would you recommend that i apply helicopter tape to the underside of the down-tube - if yes, is there a favourite brand among WWs?

Thank you for your help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

First off, do NOT apply carbon paste anywhere near bearings. Use grease. Apply grease to the 'cup' of the frame in the headtube, to the bearing itself, inside and out.
Front mech, I would say unnecessary, but I guess it can't hurt.
Praxis, no, doesn't need it.
Headtube expander, no point really, the expander should bite into the carbon of the steerer, (as opposed to say a handlebar in a stem which is smooth).
As for the tape, I wouldn't bother unless you ride on very wet, gritty roads.

Slimtim

by Slimtim

Thanks for the quick feedback - very complete and a big help. When it comes to grease on the headset bearings and cup, I have white grease, waterproof/marine blue coloured grease, and copper grease - any recommendation?

I think I will probably go for the tape as the roads I am on can turn nasty.

Thanks again.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'd go for the waterproof one to keep the crap out.

The headset is a 'non-power sapping' part, so you don't need to worry too much what grease you use.

For the BB though, I'd use something a bit finer, maybe with Teflon or similar low friction additive.

I built up an Sworks Tarmac and have 3 vids;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K96gLpzdqTk

You may find some useful tips in there.

sungod

by sungod

yeah, use the waterproof, especially if you'll do all weather rides, some non-waterproof greases can flush out fast

as above, seat tube is really the only place to use cf mounting paste, though if it's a tight fit you may not need it

presumably you have a torque wrench

with a lightweight frame/components, use the minimum necessary torque for safe/secure fixing, make a list of torque settings so that you can refer back in future (keep the list in the box with the torque wrench)

lwk

by lwk

Have a look on the praxis website re installing your BB. They recommend an anti-seize compound and grease for installation

https://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

lwk

by lwk

Looking forward to see some build pics

Slimtim

by Slimtim

Thanks again guys, very helpful.

Yes, build pix will be along in a couple of weeks. It's going to be a little bit classic as befits the frameset (although v modern itself) but with a focus on an all purpose but light bike - I'm not going super-tuned uber-bike. It will hopefully be a worth successor to my Merlin Magia which has been amazing for a dozen years, and still is, but has always been just a little bit too big for me.

BRM

by BRM

Carbon paste contains a kind of grit to increase friction.
So only on places where you require more friction. Like seat tube and maybe between handlebar and stem.
(Most handlebars already have a gritty part on the mounting spot so you can do without normally)

Use a torque wrench. But keep in mind mosttimes the given torques are MAXIMUM. Don't use maximum.
Lube on threads has effect on torques, with lube you should decrease torque even more.

RyanH

by RyanH

I use it on the shifter clamp bands and steerer to stem interface.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

Best is to mount shifters not too tight.
Ofcourse they need to stay in place with normal use, but when not too tight they can move in a crash.