Zwatt Power Meters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dcpdpayne

by dcpdpayne

Training with power is now ubiquitous amongst pros, serious amateurs and folks for whom "cycling is the new golf." In the world of $7K frames what is another grand for a power meter?

Still for folks of lesser means, students, lowly bike shop employees without a good hookup, jr riders, etc affording a power meter might mean having to choose a good set of race wheels, a new groupo, proper coaching (who will want you to have a power meter), or getting a power meter.

The other day I saw the Kickstarter and Indiegogo pages for the ZWatt left side power meter (ala Stages) and saw that you can get it as cheap as $200-ish with a two year commitment to upload one ride a month and a monthly fee of about $6.

Any thoughts? How accurate does a meter need to be? Is this good enough for the "average" racer? Would you get one?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/team ... 15160346#/

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with Zwatt and I don't know any of it's owners or employees. I just think it's interesting and I may put some cash on the barrel head for a meter in the future.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jesherwood

by jesherwood

This could be an interesting thread to follow. Power is real, so they say. I have to admit that I bought into the training hype when preparing for a 4-man team attempt at RAAM. In hindsight, if I had to choose, I would say go with a coach over a powermeter. Perceived Exertion and Heart Rate are solid alternatives (both with flaws) that most coaches will accept. I like my Quarq. I still use it regularly. But there are times when analysis and overthinking the riding becomes cumbersome.

If I were in the market, I would strongly consider an option like this so long as it's accuracy models mimicked the proven systems.
More weight than weenie.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Or just get a stage 105 5700 for like $350

Dez33

by Dez33

dcpdpayne wrote:The other day I saw the Kickstarter and Indiegogo pages for the ZWatt left side power meter (ala Stages) and saw that you can get it as cheap as $200-ish with a two year commitment to upload one ride a month and a monthly fee of about $6.

Anyone thinking of that single leg option would have been better with the 4iiii crank, comparable end price, 4iiii is somewhat proven and you can buy and receive in one week instead of paying $200 and receiving much later in the future. Then you are tied to the ZWatt where you have no additional obligations with the 4iiii.

Seemed over-priced to me.

dcpdpayne

by dcpdpayne

Dez33 wrote:Anyone thinking of that single leg option would have been better with the 4iiii crank, comparable end price, 4iiii is somewhat proven and you can buy and receive in one week instead of paying $200 and receiving much later in the future. Then you are tied to the ZWatt where you have no additional obligations with the 4iiii.

Seemed over-priced to me.

There are three things about it that interest me.

1. I like the charging system. I don't want to change batteries, even if it's easy, even if it's a common battery. I've mangled enough "coin slot" battery covers that I'll do anything to avoid them. This also means that I'm not throwing out a battery every few weeks, and that suits me environmentally. At this point we charge our phones, watches, cameras, Garmin, and shifting systems, why not our power meters.

2. I like the idea of the system being updated wirelessly via their phone based app. The last power meter that I had (an older power tap hub) was nothing short of world's biggest pain in the ass when it came to updating.

3. At $344 after two years of the monthly fee the Zwatt is still cheaper than either the Stages or the 4iii and you get updates for life.

Like I said in the OP, I just think it's an interesting idea in bringing power based training to people who might not have been able to easily afford it before. I'm eager to hear from folks who get them after the first of the year.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

I've backed the ZSpider, which was the less popular option, by quite a long way.

I have hip stability challenges so getting dual L/R seemed like a good option.

Fingers crossed for Easter-ish next year!
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

reknop

by reknop

Most interesting part that is challenging competition is the subscription based model (lower price for the power meter combined with a monthly fee vs. a one time purchase of the traditional power meters).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com