Heat Shield for Disk Brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

krtassoc

by krtassoc

Heat Shield for Disk Brakes?

http://cycling-today.com/orica-rider-th ... s-on-skin/

I have said it before...and I will say it again...disk brakes as currently configured on road bikes do not belong in mass start events... whether amateur or professional!

What say 'you' to this?

corky

by corky

And those dangerous chainrings......and touching wheels and falling off.....ban them I say

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krtassoc

by krtassoc

Disc brakes do not need to be banned...just reconfigured.

'This' seems like a simple solution to me: http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/05/13/tre ... o-peloton/

After all, with the musings we are beginning to hear within within the product-liability and personal injury plaintiff's bar wouldn't it be sensible to head off such legal attacks before they arise. Making it harder for the organizers of mass start events from obtaining the insurance they need in order to hold a gran fondo, century/benefit ride is not too sensible, either.

corky

by corky

not everywhere is America.....

krtassoc

by krtassoc

I agree...but by volume of sales...it is the single market that really counts!

Shrike

by Shrike

You could argue that the spat of serious injuries from wet weather descents in pro races mean that disc brakes are long overdue.

amey

by amey

corky wrote:not everywhere is America.....

wait till trump gets elected

scottmmw

by scottmmw

they will find a modification to make them safer in a crash, maybe not this year but in the future, its all about money for the manufacturers!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Shrike wrote:You could argue that the spat of serious injuries from wet weather descents in pro races mean that disc brakes are long overdue.

You could argue this, but you shouldn't. And "spat"? Do you mean spate? If so I am not aware of any recent spate of crashes.

Notwithstanding any spate, I think you might have this backwards. With better wet weather braking riders may be willing to risk higher speeds, which will result in more serious crashes on descents. Crashes on descents rarely have anything to do with not being able to stop and slamming into something. More a case of the tires losing grip in a corner/curve because speed is too high due to misjudgment. Better breaking won't do a lot for the rider in many of these situations.

Other then saving my rims during wet weather training (which is why I have a disc bike), I get nothing from discs. Just more weight, cost, and complication. And I never really liked the feel of a front disc wheel either. I prefer the symmetry of a rim brake build in extreme bike handling situations - hard braking, cornering, etc.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Broady

by Broady

I don't get how this could have happened, I've intentionally tried dragging my disc brakes on and off down a massive descent to see how hot they get and they don't get bad enough to do something like this. I can't imagine any ride Bewls would be doing would involve people that are intentionally dragging their brakes that much.

mattr

by mattr

Really? I've *not* dragged disc brakes down a hill and got them to steam when hitting a puddle at the bottom, so that's 100+ degrees. Hot enough to seriously burn skin and flesh.

I also have had discs that i don't actually know how hot they've got, BUT they have begun to discolour, that starts at about 300 degrees in most grades of steel.

mattr

by mattr

Shrike wrote:You could argue that the spat of serious injuries from wet weather descents in pro races mean that disc brakes are long overdue.
Be more beneficial to improve tyre tech. Most of the wet weather crashes i see are the tyres going out from underneath the rider when they hit road slime, leaf mold, cobbles, oil, road lines etc. Over running a corner due to a lack of BRAKING (as opposed to a lack of TRACTION) is very rare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com