New groupset setup - rear derailleur moving back and forth, not up and down!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Next issue - the gear end is stuck in the shifter. I can click the shifter up (as you would to make it easier to ride) but it won't shift down. Reckon the gear cable end is all wound up in there and not coming out. I though I had clicked it all the way down as far as it would go before trying to remove it, but still stuck in there. Do I have to unscrew the shifter bits or is there another way?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

Shrike,

No offense, but it seems you went at this without reading any of the instructions that come with the frame and parts. You wouldn't be the first person to do that (don't ask me how I know). Having a few "extra" parts laying around after you are done is a good clue that you missed a step. Go back and read the instructions before attacking it again -- if you do, I predict a better result. :beerchug:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

mattr

by mattr

You've possibly popped the barrel out of its seat. They ate a pain to get out. Might be best if you find someone local that actually knows what they are doing. Rather than breaking anything.

Unscrewing anything on a shimano shifter gives you very good odds of needing a new shifter.

Shrike

by Shrike

Instructions! With a Workswell! :)

@mattr I've found a few pics online of a guy who seemed to have the same problem and fixed it.. feeling game 8)
Last edited by Shrike on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

I'm guessing it's not a workswell groupset.......

Shrike

by Shrike

Should be the same as Ultegra and DA for the most part. It was that frame part that set off the chain reaction of mishaps.

Possible fix for the odd gear cable problem:

http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mecha ... ement.html

EDIT: no need for all that. Took another look at it and was able to get the cable out with some poking around. Seemed to fix itself when I was away :shock: