Bastion Cycles...3D printed Ti Lugs...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trimenc

by trimenc

This is CRAZY cool and I love the idea of this on the surface. I don't want to be negative (I will leave that for others on this forum to do), but I do have some concerns about bikes going out the door with crazy geometries that just don't work. They seem to have a fail safe for this, but time will tell. Thanks mille2424 for posting this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I've been waiting for someone to 3D print lugs for a custom frame. Looks like Bastion are there and have done a brilliant job with it too. Lets hope the bikes are as good as they sound (although I'm not going to even ask about the cost...).

Demthios

by Demthios

I've actually ordered one of their framesets, No. 6, if you check out their Instagram mine is the latest two pictures on the test stand being stress tested right now. I should have it by next week as long as customs doesn't hold it up at all. Their website has some pretty decent failsafe for the broke geometry and if something isn't up to snuff when their engineers get ahold of the report they contact you and let you know. As such I had a shorter seat tube on mine, so they emailed me and asked if I would want to have a more sloped top tube in order to increase the seat tube for more comfort. They actually wrote up two engineering reports and 2 3D files for me to look and decided. They are an awesome group of guys to work it. If you have any questions let me know and I'll try and answer the best I can.

dcpdpayne

by dcpdpayne

trimenc wrote:I do have some concerns about bikes going out the door with crazy geometries that just don't work.

This is where a good builder comes into play. Getting a made to measure isn't just about paying for the builder's ability to weld, or bond, or paint, but you're also paying for their knowledge.

A builder who would allow a product with their name on it to leave their shop knowing that it will ride wonky deserves to be out of business.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A good approach to custom, but ultimately how much more value does this product offer than the incredible range of options already in the market? The answer of course points to the size of the market segment that must have this frame. I fear it might be too small for this company to thrive. I hope I am wrong because the whole approach is quite innovative.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

RussellS

by RussellS

http://bastion-cycles.com/product/road-bike/

Frame only is about $8550 Australian Dollars. USA dollars its about $6483 given the 0.7583 conversion rate. $6,500 custom carbon/titanium frame that weighs 993 grams? Assume the price includes the frame and fork. Weight pretty sure leaves the fork out. They are definitely jumping into the deep end for custom price. That very expensive, very lightweight, custom carbon builder in Texas (Crumpton) has a similar price.

I agree with the following post. It looks good with those cool looking titanium lugs and seatpost cap. Cool looking. The carbon tubes themselves look great. But its expensive and heavy. Usually you get "expensive and light" or "cheap and heavy".
Last edited by RussellS on Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

mile2424

by mile2424

Personally the aesthetics alone win out for me with Bastion. I like the unconventional lug shapes, makes it look more modern to me that a traditional custom frame with normal lugs.

Was thinking about a Firefly, but I do like the looks of the Bastion.

Demthios

by Demthios

Well, I received in my frameset from Bastion this past week and started to do the build up. The quality of the frameset and the craftsmanship is amazing. The frame is pretty light actually lighter then they estimated what it would be. The pattern on the carbon tubes looks amazing and the lines that they are able to achieve with the Ti just look awesome.

kode54

by kode54

looks amazing. can't wait for the ride report. good luck with the build!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mile2424

by mile2424

Nice can't wait to see more!!!

mrgray

by mrgray

wow @demthios. very excited to see one of these built and to hear about the process. really looking forward to your impressions of it.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Marin

by Marin

Demthios wrote:The frame is pretty light actually lighter then they estimated what it would be.

So what's the weight then?

Demthios

by Demthios

mrgray wrote:wow @demthios. very excited to see one of these built and to hear about the process. really looking forward to your impressions of it.

The frame weight was estimated to be 1025 grams, it came in at 930 grams so they dropped almost 100 off their estimate. Not sure exactly what the fork weight is, didn't weigh it before putting it on the bike. We almost got it all built but ran into an issue with the rear wheel, the wheel is going back to Enve for a warranty claim. Once the new one comes in hopefully we'll still have some nice weather to get out and get some miles on it for a ride report.

Here are some pics of the build up.

Marin

by Marin

Demthios wrote:930 grams

Okay, that's proper light, especially considering the ISP! Didn't think it would be so light.

Next question - what was the issue with the rear wheel? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com