Bastion Cycles...3D printed Ti Lugs...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Demthios

by Demthios

Marin wrote:
Demthios wrote:930 grams

Okay, that's proper light, especially considering the ISP! Didn't think it would be so light.

Next question - what was the issue with the rear wheel? :)

Yeah, I was pretty shocked that it was that light. And that is based on their size Medium on their site.

The wheel delaminated when we were setting the bead on the tubeless tire. Got it up to about 80ish PSI and boom goes the sidewall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Ok, that shouldn't happen. Hope the replacement arrives soon - can't wait to see more of the build!

Broady

by Broady

Great looking frames, definitely on my list when I go from steel to carbon.

mile2424

by mile2424

What frame layup or stiffness did you opt for?

Demthios

by Demthios

mile2424 wrote:What frame layup or stiffness did you opt for?

I went for just the regular layup. I know they just did a Stiff Layup that came out at 970 grams.

ATMOS

by ATMOS

Awesome bikes, looks very futuristic!

tbrix

by tbrix

Holy cow, they're located about 3ks from my place. I've ridden right past them several times and had no idea. I'm going to check them out soon.

Miller

by Miller

Demthios wrote:Here are some pics of the build up.

Never mind the bike, I want his workshop.

(Ok, amazing frame, not so keen on the name though.)

peted76

by peted76

Just saw the cyclist article about the bastion.. http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/2123/f ... -road-disc .. then came here for a search...

CAN WE GET A RIDE REPORT PLEASE?
This thing seems just too damn innovative and secsy for it's own good... why isnt' there more buzz around here on about it?

Broady

by Broady

£5800 F&F in the UK, oof.

schroeds

by schroeds

I met the Bastion guy this week at Tour Down Under and saw the bike in the flesh.

It certainly is an impressive beast.

caddis

by caddis

Did they buy the Impec machine from BMC?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

First time visiting this thread. Ok... this is truly the most innovative and potentially "game changing" (apologies for that term, but it actually seems legit in this case) thing I've seen in cycling for quite some time. Its potential is huge. Colnago has always prided themselves in their lugged frame construction, and the fact it allows them to alter their geometries to a truly custom spec in the rare case where it might be warranted. But what Bastion has presented here takes that concept to an entirely new and futuristic level. Very impressive. I especially like that they can create internal "ribs" and support structures within the lugs, pretty impossible to do I think with current methods. And it all looks aesthetically clean in the end. I wish them luck. The idea of letting a customer design their own geometry is scary as some have pointed out, but getting beyond that with a whole lot of checks and balances shouldn't be too insurmountable. Good for them and time will tell I suppose. Very niche for now, but the potential looks promising.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RussellS

by RussellS

Calnago wrote:Ok... this is truly the most innovative and potentially "game changing" (apologies for that term, but it actually seems legit in this case) thing I've seen in cycling for quite some time.

I would guess you have not followed cycling very long. Some history. Back in 1986, yes 1986, 31 years ago, Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault rode Look carbon bikes with aluminum lugs and carbon tubes to first and second in the Tour de France. Assume Hinault and Lemond rode similar bikes to first and second place the year before too. The use of metal lugs and carbon tubes for frame building has been around for over thirty years. Making the lugs out of titanium and how Bastion makes the lugs may be somewhat new. But metal lugs and carbon tubes is not at all innovative. Its very old history. I ride with three friends who have Giant bikes from the early 1990s with aluminum lugs and carbon tubes. So Look, Giant, and probably a dozen other makers have all used metal lugs and carbon tubes to make bike frames. Starting over thirty years ago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

RussellS wrote:
Calnago wrote:Ok... this is truly the most innovative and potentially "game changing" (apologies for that term, but it actually seems legit in this case) thing I've seen in cycling for quite some time.

I would guess you have not followed cycling very long. Some history. Back in 1986, yes 1986, 31 years ago, Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault rode Look carbon bikes with aluminum lugs and carbon tubes to first and second in the Tour de France. Assume Hinault and Lemond rode similar bikes to first and second place the year before too. The use of metal lugs and carbon tubes for frame building has been around for over thirty years. Making the lugs out of titanium and how Bastion makes the lugs may be somewhat new. But metal lugs and carbon tubes is not at all innovative. Its very old history. I ride with three friends who have Giant bikes from the early 1990s with aluminum lugs and carbon tubes. So Look, Giant, and probably a dozen other makers have all used metal lugs and carbon tubes to make bike frames. Starting over thirty years ago.

I am very familiar with stuff that happened back in 1986, had been riding for a long time before then. But saying 3D printing lugs out of ti powder, with ribs and support within the lugs themselves, "may be somewhat new". Hmmm.

And to be able to sit at a computer and design your own geometry and have lugs "printed" out accordingly. "Somewhat new"? Ok...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ