Bastion Cycles...3D printed Ti Lugs...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I think its success depends on the demand for custom bike geometries, which is shown to be low based on Guru Cycles' recent collapse. There is a very interesting article

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/The_D ... _5574.html

which discusses how Guru's fit systems exposed omissions in large frame manufacturers' product lines, omissions which are subsequently handled leading to (largely) removing the need for custom geometries.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@antonioiglesius: Yes, I'd agree with that. Being able to do it and having a ready market for it could be two different things. I think it's a long shot but it certainly is testing out the 3D printing possibilities. Custom geometries aside, the process itself could be equally applicable to non custom manufacturing as well... whether it could be done cost effectively or not I have no idea. Given time, I'm sure it will be an option.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ms6073

by ms6073

RussellS wrote:Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault rode Look 'branded' carbon bikes with aluminum lugs and carbon tubes

Fixed it for you. Pretty sure TVT supplied those frames.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RussellS

by RussellS

antonioiglesius wrote:I think its success depends on the demand for custom bike geometries, which is shown to be low based on Guru Cycles' recent collapse. There is a very interesting article

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/The_D ... _5574.html

which discusses how Guru's fit systems exposed omissions in large frame manufacturers' product lines, omissions which are subsequently handled leading to (largely) removing the need for custom geometries.

True. I'm pretty sure human bodies fit into a bell curve. 2/3 of all people are average size. Their legs, arms, torsos, height, etc. are all average. Small percentage of course fall outside of average. Gymnast girls and men basketball players. But all the others are normal sized, excluding weight. So factory made bikes in 5-6 sizes fit most people. Only abnormally sized people really need custom sizes. And of course those who just want to buy a custom frame because they can. I want a custom frame even though almost every bike manufacturer makes a bike that fits me perfectly.

RussellS

by RussellS

Calnago wrote:
RussellS wrote:
Calnago wrote:Ok... this is truly the most innovative and potentially "game changing" (apologies for that term, but it actually seems legit in this case) thing I've seen in cycling for quite some time.

I would guess you have not followed cycling very long. Some history. Back in 1986, yes 1986, 31 years ago, Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault rode Look carbon bikes with aluminum lugs and carbon tubes to first and second in the Tour de France. Assume Hinault and Lemond rode similar bikes to first and second place the year before too. The use of metal lugs and carbon tubes for frame building has been around for over thirty years. Making the lugs out of titanium and how Bastion makes the lugs may be somewhat new. But metal lugs and carbon tubes is not at all innovative. Its very old history. I ride with three friends who have Giant bikes from the early 1990s with aluminum lugs and carbon tubes. So Look, Giant, and probably a dozen other makers have all used metal lugs and carbon tubes to make bike frames. Starting over thirty years ago.

I am very familiar with stuff that happened back in 1986, had been riding for a long time before then. But saying 3D printing lugs out of ti powder, with ribs and support within the lugs themselves, "may be somewhat new". Hmmm.

And to be able to sit at a computer and design your own geometry and have lugs "printed" out accordingly. "Somewhat new"? Ok...

How you get the custom lugs isn't really terribly important. With the lugs, the lug that is created is the important part. How it gets done doesn't matter much. You can forge or cast metal. Sometimes one is better than the other. But if the end part works for its job, it really does not matter if its forged or cast. Steel frames can be brazed and lugs, or TIG welded. Does it matter? For cost, appearance, weight it might. But they function the same. Same for these Bastion 3-D lugs. They work the exact same as the other metal lugs created for carbon frames in the past.

motdoc

by motdoc

Hi RusselS
In one of your previous posts you started the post with "I guess you have not followed cycling very long". Might I recommend refraining from pointless ad hominem arguments till the third sentence at least. Otherwise everyone will think you are a douche and just like flaming people, and no one will listen to what you have to say.