Think I got a frame with BBright installed, want to install Shimano crank [pic]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Had a look around the internet and seen guys talk about adapters. Does that mean I can use a 105 bottom bracket (which I have new) and screw it into the BBright or something. Never installed a bottom bracket before so no clue. To make things worse, there are extra bits x4 :o

Dodgy pic (Workswell frame by the way)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fabriciom

by fabriciom

1. Find out exactly what you have.
2. Look for a compatible BB for your cranks.
3. Be prepared to make mistakes
4. Use your mistakes to learn

newforker

by newforker

Not a BBRight shell on a workswell, nobody except Cervelo is stupid enough to use BBRight

Probably PF30

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Don't have a Workswell, but numerous people on this forum have discussed BBRight on their frames:

http://www.workswellbikes.com/web/view/142.html

WCB-R-066
Material: full carbon fiber
Weave: UD
Include:Frame Fork seatpost clamp
Headset size:top 1-1/8 down 1-3/8
Seatpost:27.2mm
BB: BBright

Search in the following thread for this exact topic:

viewtopic.php?t=113717
Last edited by FilmAt11 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dez33

by Dez33

Wheels Manufacturing have an adaptor http://wheelsmfg.com/bbright-adapter-fo ... ranks.html

I haven't used the BBright version but had no issues with the PF30 version.

grumpus

by grumpus

The workswell 066 does have a bbright shell. If you tell them you will be installing shimano cranks when you order the frame, they say they will install the appropriate adapter for you. It's tough with an all black picture, but the installed bearings look like they might be the appropriate 24mm for your shimano cranks. The washers then would just be to adjust the chainline if need be. If not, wheels mfg or similar is probably your best bet.

savechief

by savechief

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id439.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys, I've shot them an email and waiting for a reply to see exactly what it is. The 105 crank does fit and nearly goes all the way through, but gets stuck. 3 of the parts are washers like you said, 3 different widths now I've had a better look at them.

There was no mention of them fitting an adapter or anything and can't find a similar image online. Better pics.

Strange that the crank spindle is the same diameter all the way through but gets stuck at the same place no matter how many times I take it out and put back in again! Scared to whack it too hard, but maybe that's what it needs?

mattr

by mattr

Looks like its jamming where the spline finishes, it may be that the bearings aren't perfectly parallel so the axle is very slightly off centre in the idle side bearing.
Might be worth giving the bearings another push in to make sure they are fully seated (and parallel). Or just jiggle the crank around a bit so it slips through the other side.

And FWIW, many axles will need a tap to get them through the bottom bracket. Even if its just a thump with the heel of your hand.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks mattr, looks like you're right, the bearings aren't perfectly parallel. I hammered the crank through and there's a touch of resistance there. I couldn't get anything out the bearings by trying to press them in further unfortunately. Looks like I'm stuck with it.

If I give the crank arm a gentle push, it'll swing one rotation before stopping because of the resistance. Think it's worth pursuing, i.e. getting a new BB and starting from scratch? Or won't it make much difference in terms of power loss? Winter bike and all..

fh8425

by fh8425

Juanmoretime wrote:Any way it could be a Sram bottom bracket? Sram is a tapered smaller diameter bearing on the non drive side.

+1, You should get a vernier to measure and confirm if it measures 22.9 mm(on non drive side) then most prob it is a sram bb

Shrike

by Shrike

That would explain it too. No vernier.. will see about picking one up. If it does turn out to be SRAM, what's my next step? Sell the 105 crank and buy something else? Would prefer it to be around the same price as I get for the 105..

ms6073

by ms6073

Shrike wrote:what's my next step? Sell the 105 crank and buy something else?

It would be much cheaper to source a BBRight to BB24 adapter. Also, if the spindle does not fit with max force by hand, then you certainly should not be using a hammer to make try to make it fit. At a minimum, this is likely to displace the non-drive side bearing, and at worst, distort the inner race, ruining the bearing!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mattr

by mattr

Don't think the shimano spline would go through the inner bore of a sram sized bearing......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

And there is usually a fair bit of drag on fresh installs of this type. Combination of grease, seals and (in this case) misalignment.......