Think I got a frame with BBright installed, want to install Shimano crank [pic]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grumpus

by grumpus

It sounds like the only holdups are that the spindle took some convincing to get through the bb and the crank only spins one rotation. Both of those things sound perfectly normal for a new build. Without more, I don't think that is any evidence of bearing misalignment. But impossible to say for sure without being there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Had a look at that BBRight to BB24 adapter and found this:

http://wheelsmfg.com/bbright-adapter-fo ... ranks.html

Looks just like what I've got already!

Must be a dodgy install then. The Workswell people won't reply to me until Saturday I think to find out exactly what they've installed or recommend. Big Chinese 7 day holiday at the moment.

@grumpus - will the install settle or ease somewhat allowing the spindle to spin more freely over use?

grumpus

by grumpus

I've had some bbs get a little more free spinning with use. It's a somewhat controversial subject. Many people will tell you that unloaded spinning is not a relevant factor in how well a bb works. What is slowing it down are the seals and grease (very important for long bearing life). Ceramic bb manufacturers will say that you are giving away watts. Threaded insert bbs like wheels mfg seem to turn better than pressed bearings. I tend to only worry if it's gritty or sticking.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

OP, you have the correct adapter, and most likely it is installed properly. Is the drag you observe after torquing the crank fixing bolt? You may need fewer spacers, i.e. you may be squeezing the bearings. Make sure your crank spindle isn't too short for the shell, bearing and spacer width you have installed. If the binding is without the crank torqued together, then I agree with others. Just needs breaking in.
Robert

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks Robert, all good on those fronts. Finished the bike off now (was waiting on a gear cable) and will get a quick ride in it to see what I think about this BB. Probably does just need breaking in a bit!