Best Brake Pads That Won't Scuff/Mark Alloy Brake Tracks?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

I've seen some wheels with silver alloy brake tracks that after years of use, still seem to look pristine, smooth and shiny.

Then I've seen some that look worn down, and look to be marred with brake pad residue.

Anyone recommend pads that are gentle on silver alloy rims?

Otherwise, would Acetone be used to clean up the brake tracks?

pressed001

by pressed001

Hehe. Your choice of words could be misconstrued: Silver Alloy (AgFe). That would be an expensive and very soft brake track!

I use Koolstop salmon's. They are highly rated and probably the most commonly suggested brake pad by experienced riders. As for cleanliness, you have to keep the tracks clean yourself or they will end up looking nasty as you have described.

In the past, I used rubbing alcohol and it worked pretty well but I find now that a good engine de-greaser and the green side of the sponge works wonders and is very fast. I keep my brake tracks very clean. The way in which you brake can also help, if you kind of pulse the braking when going through dirty areas. That lets the dirt between the pad and the brake track escape between pulses, and the koolstop's can better scrape away the debris.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

are you sure they weren't old steel rims? they can stay shiny a very long time, not such great braking though!

McGilli

by McGilli

Ok cool - I've picked up some Kool Stop Salmon, and Kool Stop Dura 2 pads.

I'll start with the Salmon and see how it goes!

pressed001

by pressed001

I don't think you will be disappointed!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomycs

by tomycs

For me it was the SL23 Pacentis and their narrow brake track that steered me towards the Koolstop Dura2 Salmons and I like them a lot (hate the name though), definitely among the best I've tried and cheaper than Swisstop.