Allez DSW Sprint 2x -> 1x conversion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stk57

by stk57

Hello,

Since it's my bike-2-work bike and for many unspoken reasons, I find hardly useful to have 2 rings on the front.

The 2x11 bike is this stock one for reference :
Allez DSW SL Sprint Comp

Last year, I converted my Jekyll 2x10 to 1x10 just by :
- removing SRAM spider, front derailleur and letf shifter,
- installing a 32T narrow-wide ring with 6mm offset and a 1x chain guide on the ISCG mount.

It was a simple $60 solution to have a cleaner (and lighter !) enduro bike with plenty of room in the cockpit. I since bought a 28T for steeper rides since I didn't touch the regular 11-36 SRAM cogs in the rear.

Ideally (in the Care Bears world), I'd like to just throw away the small ring, the front derailleur and cables, find a 48T ring and a washer (to recreate the offset) to get the right chain line. Optionally get a tiny chain-guide screwed on the FD mount.

I know this maybe more complex since 1x conversion for road is not as a mainstream trend as it is for MTB but :
- Is the 2x geometry compatible with a 1x setup ? Is it just a Sprint 1x frame with a braze-on mount ?
- What are the simplest - time and money wise - solutions (apart from breaking the bank and go for a SRAM x1 (Force or Rival) setup) ?
- Is there any non-SRAM cranksets that are compatible with Shimano 11v transmission ?

-STK-
Last edited by stk57 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emcardle

by emcardle

stk57 wrote:
- Is the 2x geometry compatible with a 1x setup ? Is it just a Sprint 1x frame with a braze-on mount?

The same yes.

stk57 wrote:- What are the simplest - time and money wise - solutions (apart from breaking the bank and go for a SRAM x1 (Force or Rival) setup) ?

Try eBay for used shifters and derailleurs. Or local Facebook cycling buy and sell groups.

stk57 wrote:Is there any non-SRAM cranksets that are compatible with Shimano 11v transmission ?

Plenty. Praxis, fsa etc.

stk57

by stk57

emcardle wrote:The same yes.

Is it just the same guess I had looking at the 2x frameset/setup ? :D

I've seen the Venge Lunch Race that is a 1x11 SRAM X-Sync build that has still its braze-on derailleur clamp so I was sure that it's based on a regular Venge frame. But 1x Sprint don't have the 2x braze-on clamp so ... just our guess.

Anyway, at my humble level of knowledge, I would conclude it's just a matter of chain line. 1x mountain bike crankset on converted frame try to put the solo ring in the right alignment to be able to shift the whole cogs quietly.

emcardle wrote:Try eBay for used shifters and derailleurs. Or local Facebook cycling buy and sell groups.

Plenty. Praxis, fsa etc.

Thanks, but I was looking for a more precise models and parts. Used is always cheaper than new parts, for conversion to 1x, iPhone case, towels, etc.

Maybe my questions were not precise enough, I apologize. I'll try to be more detailed for the next ones.

My worry is mainly that the process to sticking only 1 ring on a crank can lead to chain-line issue. As it was experienced by a Venge Lunch Race owner who swapped its Specialized X-Sync 54T with a Race Face 44T :

Early feedback on Venge Lunch Race?
As I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve swapped the 52t X-Sync chainring for a Race Face n/w 44t. Paired with the 11-28 11spd cassette, I’m really liking my gear options for training rides so far. The 52t ring is actually offset to the inside a few millimeters in order to get a friendlier chainline than the RF ring offers in the larger cogs. There are a few popping sounds here and there under power in the high side of the cassette, but overall I like the simplicity and the weight savings.

I'd like to find the right set of parts to use in order to avoid getting chain noise going from 2x11 to 1x11. It'd be a terrible move, wouldn't it ?

Looking at 1x Sprint builds that Specialized has in catalogues for 2 years now, I know that a simple but costly solution is get hands on parts from 1x SRAM group and go ride ... but do I have another choice ? This solutions (Force 1 or Rival 1) force me to throw my brifters and rear derailleur, aren't they ?

I was looking for a similar to my Jekyll conversion process. Drop the front derailleur and its cables/guides, get an offset 48T ring. Keep everything else unchanged. Even a $100 48T ring with the right chain-line would be cheaper than Rival 1x : Rear derailleur alone is $100 online and I'm still missing crankset-with-ring, shifters, maybe new guides/cables if I cannot fit the current.

I could also get the EC90 SL Crankset ($450 without BB) with Easton 48T but it will be very expensive and maybe with a Gravel/CX-specific chain line. I'm will need for information on these CX solutions also.

Thoughts-in-progress ... before work-in-progress.

-STK-

emcardle

by emcardle

The sprint x2 is the same geometry just with a front derailleur mount.

You can use spacers as far as I know to deal with chain line issues.

I don't think there is much need for a clutch rear derailleur with a narrow wide chainring. I did about 6000k like that and only dropped the chain once. Same goes for the shifters. Any sram shifters will work if you don't want to buy the 1x specific ones. You can always gut the left one.

I had almost no chain noise with a sram red xg-1090 cassette but it is very quiet. (but expensive)

Hop this helps a bit!

stk57

by stk57

Thanks !

I had no worries about drop chains with my Jekyll and a small guide covering the 32T chainring ... I'm confident - for that matter - with the Allez.

I will incrementally convert the Allez:
- pass one : drop the 2x chainring and front derailleur, gut the left lever, find a right 1x crankset+ring (SRAM, Easton)
- pass two : SRAM 1x levers and rear derailleur.
- pass three : put the 105 2x11 stuff from the Allez on my 105 2x10 Roubaix.

-STK-

jobvisser

by jobvisser

stk57 wrote:Thanks !

- pass two : SRAM 1x levers and rear derailleur.

-STK-

you can also just get the normal sram red and remove the shift lever and interieur "shifter stuff " probably cheaper and exactly the same
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I run 1x on several bikes.

You can get great value 1x rings from Garbaruk, KA engineering or Amber bikes.

On my latest build I'm running my KA 46t ring in the outer position and everything works fine with an 11-30 cassette and a short Force 22 derailleur, even the lowest gear.