Quality Light Cup & Cone Hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

eric01 wrote:Shimano dura ace. Comes in drillings down to 24 h front and rear.

Not record but slap a 11speed shimano cassette on and it will work with 11 speed record.

Or use an Ambrosio conversion cassette with Shimano splines and Campy spacing.

Miller

by Miller

StradaJon wrote:We don't see a lot of demand for Campagnolo Record hubs. They are ok but hampered by being available in 32 hole only. Plus the QRs are of poor quality in comparison to the Shimano DA ones for example.

What's wrong with the Campag QRs? I think they're fab with a solid close that grabs the dropouts.

It's a shame that Campag hubs aren't available other than 32h but I guess Campag want to sell complete wheels, not hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

The Campagnolo Record QRs look cheap compared to the DA ones side by side to a purchaser.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

pressed001

by pressed001

I've got some 7700 hubs and love them. Every 18 months or so I re-grease them (4000km) and the cones are still in great shape. The last time I did not install new bearings, probably not a bad idea for me to do.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

One of the great things about high quality cup and cone hubs is that if they eventually do develop a bit of play, that play can be easily adjusted out and good as new. So long as the bearings are not pitted etc., you can get some really long life out of them. Some might even argue smoother over time. Just periodically clean them up and regrease and they spin like new with no play for a long long time.
Once cartridge bearings develop play, you have no choice but to replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

StradaJon wrote:The Campagnolo Record QRs look cheap compared to the DA ones side by side to a purchaser.

I disagree. They work perfectly for the money. A Dura Ace rear retails for more than the Record pair and, importantly for WW, the Record are lighter to boot!
ImageImage
The skewers work perfectly. I have never had any issue at all. If your customers turn their noses up at the skewers then they don't understand Campagnolo and probably want the freehub swapping out to HG11!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

Neither DA or Record QRs are lightweights are they, some of my customers are requiring a light build and these beefy chaps are not helping to keep the weight down.

We have a fair number of Campagnolo builds through the workshop but they just don't want or feel it is appropriate to fit 32 hole Record hubs on their bikes.

I don't think loose hub sales are a priority for Campagnolo hence the 32 hole pair.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

pressed001

by pressed001

I am about to build another wheel-set and have decided on either DA 9000 or a NOS HB-7900. The 7900 would be better for my build as it is a 3x10 speed 7800 group which looks gorgeous on the bike.

FWIW fulcrum CULT hubs are also amazing but you would need to buy a wheel-set as they require use of their special aluminum straight-pull spokes. I have serviced a few pairs of Zero's (1's also come with the same hubs) and the outcome was superior to that of DA with steel balls IMO. Never tried the DA's with ceramic balls though. Would be interesting to see the outcome.

The CULT hubs are also super easy to service and exchange of the cups and cones is simple. I always just exchanged the cones as those wear out faster than the cups. Especially if someone over-tightens the adjustment washer.