Running SRAM Red 22 - Need to order new Chains? Red or 1130?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

My current bike has Red 22 on it. It's my first bike that doesn't use the 'first step down' components like Ultegra or Force.

I ride every day. I climb every day. I want the best performance - but 1130 would I even notice aside from a few grams heavier?
Last edited by McGilli on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

I get 3000-4000 miles (4800-6400km) out of a Red 22 chain.

You can cut your cost in half if you waited until they really needed to be replaced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Stop changing your chains so often, they're probably not even close to worn at 2500km.

McGilli

by McGilli

I've edited my original post since this thread derailed fast.

Let me ask again:

Would using a SRAM 1130 chain on Red 22 system in any way degrade performance or shifting?

russianbear

by russianbear

Why don't you try it and tell us.

No, just heavier.

Kurets

by Kurets

No, except weight and finish. I prefer full nickel plating on chains so that you can clean them until super shiny. The hollow pin chains are actually more annoying in that regard as dirt accumulated inside the hollow pins.
Note, this is only superficial!

Sent from mTalk

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I have found Red22 chains to be quite affordable, and you get a Powerlink each time you buy one.

I like the chamfering on the outer links of Red22 chains. I would be interested to see if the chamfering on 1130 chains is the same.

McGilli

by McGilli

Kurets wrote:No, except weight and finish. I prefer full nickel plating on chains so that you can clean them until super shiny.

Sent from mTalk

Ah! I didn't realize the 1130 had the dull grey inner links. I have to say I have become very fond of the ultra shiny silver chain - it just goes with my bike so well....

I'm going to order some Red chains - and an 1130 to try it out. Will be a little while before I can try the 1130 but I'll do a post when I have compared.

Thanks all!

Kurets

by Kurets

McGilli wrote:
Kurets wrote:No, except weight and finish. I prefer full nickel plating on chains so that you can clean them until super shiny.

Sent from mTalk

Ah! I didn't realize the 1130 had the dull grey inner links. I have to say I have become very fond of the ultra shiny silver chain - it just goes with my bike so well....

I'm going to order some Red chains - and an 1130 to try it out. Will be a little while before I can try the 1130 but I'll do a post when I have compared.

Thanks all!

Yeah, I put a 105 chain on my bike instead of Ultegra as it was a few grams lighter (and I had it anyway). But the surface treatment on those is rubbish. First time I have seen actual rust stains on the outer plates!

In my opinion, road bikes should be clean and preferably even cleaner when you come back from a ride than when you go out. Unless its P-R, then getting muddy is ok!

Sent from mTalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com