Help needed - 50th birthday decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

A vote for the Sarto Lampo with chrome highlights, but no Bora 80 wheels please.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lafolie

by Lafolie

kgt wrote:Nice looking frame and a great performer accorfing to the reviews but nothing really 'special'. Certainly not for a 50th birthday present. It will look boring and dated in a couple of years...

good point my friend :-)

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I spend 30 minutes test riding a Campy Tech Lab demo bike during this year's Interbike outdoor demo. The frame is made by Sarto and the bike is equipped full SR EPS and Bora Ultra 50. I have to say the frame offers a very nice ride - light and stiff without being uncomfortable. It feels lively too. In comparison the Merckx 525 I test rode earlier feel much less lively and much less compliant.

mrgray

by mrgray

@kayrehn - why not Bora 80's? they are awesome. albeit perhaps not an everyday choice.

Can I suggest the Sarto because it is so special. But more generally get what your heart wants and don't worry about the head. If one rational element needs to come into it then as per Calnago's suggestion I would make sure the bike is not doomed to impede free cable movement and given the Sarto's role in campagnolo testing (which I didn't know about before this thread), it might be a great choice in that regard.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Thanks again guys

This is now my short list

Parlee Z Zero

Seven 622 SLX

Legend 11.5 or Legend Venticinquesimo

I just want a frameset which I can look at in 10 years time and still say - WOW

kgt

by kgt

Legend Venticinquesimo is more exclusive and looks more interesting IMO.

trimenc

by trimenc

If you want something you can look at in 10 years and still say "wow" then do not do a BoB color scheme. They are so over done, boring and last year. Have some individuality and style.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Perhaps this review might help if you have not read it before http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/600/legend-venticinquesimo-review

Perhaps you might want to consider Festka's Doppler Ti/carbon frame too, I prefer their approach of ti tubes and carbon joints. http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/661/festka-doppler-review

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Kayrehn wrote:Perhaps this review might help if you have not read it before http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/600/legend-venticinquesimo-review

Perhaps you might want to consider Festka's Doppler Ti/carbon frame too, I prefer their approach of ti tubes and carbon joints. http://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/661/festka-doppler-review

many thanks!

Lafolie

by Lafolie

ok

now got it down to two bikes - frames

Legend 11.5

or

Parlee z zero

kgt

by kgt

I would suggest... Legend with Campagnolo or Parlee with Shimano.

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

Okay I will ask the question, how much does a Sarto go for? Currently riding a Ciocc Devilry some 7 years old and maybe a time to look at replacement

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I also want to add a colnago c60 to the list :-)

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Andrewjn wrote:Okay I will ask the question, how much does a Sarto go for? Currently riding a Ciocc Devilry some 7 years old and maybe a time to look at replacement

I emailed Sarto three times.......and they never got back :-(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com