New Cervelo Tri Bike: P5X?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

The last P5 has been out for 4 years. I'm guessing before 4 years are up disc brakes will be the standard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

glam2deaf wrote:... It's a tri bike, most of them look obscene to begin with, and once you tape 30 gels to the top tube there is no coming back.

Ok, that made me laugh. :)

glam2deaf wrote:Disc brakes don't really make sense for a tri bike, but it's the way everything is going, better to jump in early rather than have to release a revision a couple of years down the line.

Well that's a real lemming mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I've been working in a bike store for a few years now. Call me cynical, but looking at 2017 offerings discs are slowly becoming standard.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

glam2deaf wrote:I've been working in a bike store for a few years now. Call me cynical, but looking at 2017 offerings discs are slowly becoming standard.

I saw a Cervelo S5 with disc at the LBS today.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

This year and next you're sure to see a ton of disc braked offerings. They've been in the development and manufacturing pipeline for several years now. The UCI and Pro Peloton riders really threw a wrench into the marketing plans when they respectively banned them and just plain didn't want them. But too late to change course for manufacturers at this point, this year. You can't just flip a switch and have it change back overnight. We're at a junction for the highest end road bikes. Perhaps through 2017 at least, they may be forced to show the winners of the major tours on, gasp... rim braked bikes still. That won't fare well on the cover of their latest catalogs. Disc brakes have a place for sure, but not everywhere, or for everyone. Unfortunately for manufacturers' marketing teams, the highest paid and most influential of advertisers (the pro peloton) aren't really asking for them in any big way. And that counts. Manufacturers gotta be upset. Maybe in 2-3 years, we'll see stores with nice road bikes and hydraulic rim brakes instead of discs. It's an option.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Dez33

by Dez33

oldnslow2 wrote:
glam2deaf wrote:I've been working in a bike store for a few years now. Call me cynical, but looking at 2017 offerings discs are slowly becoming standard.

Was probably an S3 disc, not S5. There is no S5 disc yet .... https://www.cervelo.com/en/road/s-series/s3-disc

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Dez33 wrote:
oldnslow2 wrote:

Was probably an S3 disc, not S5. There is no S5 disc yet .... https://www.cervelo.com/en/road/s-series/s3-disc

Could of been. I know it was a "aero" bike and only looked at the disc.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Willing to eat my words here, but I can imagine rim brakes being pretty rare by 2018. As much as the pro's don't want discs, if their only bike options have discs equipped there isn't much they can do. And with Dura-Ace 9100/9150, Etap Hydro, and Campag whatever all available or pretty much available I can see manufacturers going all disc brake once the range trickles down enough. Looking at our selection, as soon as you spend over $500 on a MTB you've got discs, the discs being good is a completely different discussion.

Just saying but I don't really care either way with braking, as long as I've got a bike to race and train on I'm happy.

Edit: Back on topic of the P5X, can't wait to see on in the flesh, and also very happy my job isn't to build one.

Dez33

by Dez33

glam2deaf wrote:Willing to eat my words here, but I can imagine rim brakes being pretty rare by 2018. As much as the pro's don't want discs, if their only bike options have discs equipped there isn't much they can do.

Won't happen, none of the winning manufacturers will blink first and take the penalty of only having an inferior disc brake model available unless they are forced to by regulations.

Process will be more like, bring discs back in on trial or permanently alongside rim brakes, then apply pressure from WSG/UCI Equip commission to say that having two options in the peloton is dangerous and costly, then remove rim brakes leaving only discs.

I would say more like 2019 or 2020. It will happen though, it's inevitable.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agree, and I too may be eating my words. We will see. It's an awkward situation we're in when the top of the sport, and many of us die hard regular roadies don't really want to willingly adopt the products manufacturers want to push. In the end, the manufacturers will follow the dollars, and if they can't create a pull type demand for their products they can always push them and obsolete the former products. Interesting times in the industry but yes, let's get back to figuring out just how many gel pouches we can stick on this new machine from Cervelo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

The box above the cranks looks good for about half a roast chicken, so you're probably good to have a gel for every 10km of your iron man leg.

Dez33

by Dez33

Calnago wrote: let's get back to figuring out just how many gel pouches we can stick on this new machine from Cervelo.

Easily more than this guy .... :lol:

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

He's hardly past half way. And at 16 gels my 1 per 10km wasn't far off.

Kongbop

by Kongbop

Maybe it could be for tri / not for UCI :D

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Was the triathalon specific marketing not enough of a give away?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com