Specialized S-works road crankset (2017) weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vlastrada

by vlastrada

lovemyway wrote:...they don't make arms in different lengths than 170/172.5/175mm anymore and I'm not sure if the older ones will work hold just fine.

maybe it's not well advertised, but they still do: mine are 167.5, 2017 model.

i had the 2017 crank arms installed in my SRM spider in lieu of the previous generation arms, so they do seem
interchangeable.

rcb78

by rcb78

SpecializedColnago wrote:Anybody else having problems striping the threads of the S-Works chainring bolts? I had 2 pop yesterday with a torque wrench that is calibrated and set to the recommended torque of 9.8 Nm. The other 3 tightened down to spec with no issue.

Yup, they are garbage, snapped half of mine and my local shop has a drawer full of half sets left over after snapping half of theirs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

rcb78 wrote:
SpecializedColnago wrote:Anybody else having problems striping the threads of the S-Works chainring bolts? I had 2 pop yesterday with a torque wrench that is calibrated and set to the recommended torque of 9.8 Nm. The other 3 tightened down to spec with no issue.

Yup, they are garbage, snapped half of mine and my local shop has a drawer full of half sets left over after snapping half of theirs.

They only really work with the S-works spider. i popped a lot of them on a P2M, then realized that only a few of the threads were in contact with each other.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I got 2 replacements from the local shop and they torqued to 9.8 Nm just fine. I think the other 2 were defective. And these s works bolts are definitely proprietory and can only be used on the sworks spider. Everything else takes standard shoulder sized bolts.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I remember doing mine up a while ago.

9.8Nm felt like a hell of a lot for such a flimsy little bolt, so I think I went to 6 or 7 or so.

I check them occasionally and they are absolutely fine.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

SpecializedColnago wrote:I got 2 replacements from the local shop and they torqued to 9.8 Nm just fine. I think the other 2 were defective. And these s works bolts are definitely proprietory and can only be used on the sworks spider. Everything else takes standard shoulder sized bolts.

FYI, these are the same as the Campy style bolts on their UT carbon cranks in the past. You can source KCNC campy bolts for use in a pinch.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Yeah I removed all of the bolts again to check to see if there was any deformation on the ones that did not fail at 9.8 Nms and they were completely fine with no signs of stress. I'm pretty confident that the 2 that did fail were defects. 9.8 NMs does seem like a lot, but specialized pulled that number from somewhere and felt comfortable putting it on their installation instructions as the recommended torque not the maximum recommended torque like some manufactures. I don't usually get bummed out at all when I snap a bolt off when I know I did everything per the manufacture because I can come back to them with a valid complaint.

BigRed

by BigRed

rcb78 wrote:Attn Cyclespeed - sorry, but the board won't let me respond to your PM. I'm holding onto the spider just in case i ever have an issue with my Quarq where i need to send it in for service. Good luck tracking one down. Btw, the profile of the arms on the new cranks is noticeably different, so while the interface is the same and it would fit, i don't think a 'new' spider will look right on the older style crank with the hirth joint since the spider is sculpted to match the arms. Probably why Spec is selling them as a complete set now.

Didn't even realize this until reading your post. I picked up old s-works crank arms second hand without the spider. A friend of mine just picked up the 2017 arms, but uses his quarq spider so the carbon spider was not going to be used. He let me use the 2017 carbon spider before I upgrade to a Quarq. It works, but definitely looks a little odd!

rcb78

by rcb78

Yeah, that's about what I thought it would look like. The new arms are quite a bit larger up on the spindle side. Actually, when inline with the downtube on my Tarmac, the arms are the same width as the downtube at the BB area.

karstgeo72

by karstgeo72

Ok....I have an older S-Works crank (previous gen) on my mtb, and just picked the 2017 design for my cross/gravel bike. The LBS installed it so I didn't see the gear in the box, I was surprised that they re-used my existing BB30 BB and that the crank didn't come with a BB as the old one did. Is that correct? I was also surprised that the S-Works chainring bolts worked with my single ring set up...wouldn't they be for a 2x and be too long?

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

583gm is actually very light when compared to shimano DA. 620s. Sram bb30 is like 557gm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taodemon

by taodemon

spartan wrote:my new 2017 etap 53/39 gxp crankset with original rings weighed 605gm. if i upgrade to praxis buzz saw rings can get it to
580gm. don't think specialized will produce cranks in the future. no weight advantage vs sram/shimano.

I'm not sure about the latest version of these cranks but the 2015 version supposedly had the best stiffness to weight ratio outside clavicula cranks and at a bargain price in comparison. Red was light but not as stiff which dropped it to middle of the pack (out of the 20 tested) and shimano 15/20. If anyone has more recent testing data it would be interesting to see though.

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... k-testing/

For powermeters, as has already been mentioned, the new crank will work on the old "sworks" quarq spiders but not the P2M type S. For P2M you need the new type NG ($940) I guess. Also quarq just recently released a new Dzero version for the Sworks crank that costs $779 vs the $999 of the old version. I was thinking of getting the new quarq version but for me who has the previous version of this crank P2M has the type S at $590 right now.

Other than the visual/physical differences does anyone know if there are any performance or weight differences between this new one and the previous version?

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I have the older version of these on my bike currently, and am thinking that I should keep an eye out for another set (the newer style) as a backup, as once the logos are gone, they look great, are stiff and light. And price wise, they are still damn good.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Im actually debating using a 2014 odd set I have and stripping them back to bare carbon with a TypeS, 2017 arms with an NGeco (I like batterys that I can swap) or an R9100-P on my SL6
Using Tapatalk

inchul

by inchul

pretty.
Is the installed power meter a quark depot?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com